• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year is my engine?

88LaredoAR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a Noob to this forum and Cherokees and just wanted to say what an awesome site/group this is. I have tried to do a search for this and couldn't come up with anything so sorry if this is a stupid question, but nonetheless I need some help. I bought an '88 Laredo that's on its second engine. The gentleman had no records of swap. It's a replacement 4.0 I just want to know if it is a different model year than the jeep. From what I've gathered '87-'90 XJ's are kind of in a quirky group all by themselves. Just trying to narrow down my jewel so I can get started. Any other info on things to look for would be cool too. Thanks

there's nothing wrong with 87-90 xj's. renix injection is just fine.

anyways, if it's in an 88 xj, then it's got to be a renix (most likely) simply because the High Output motor would need a bit of change in order to work.

yes you have the Renix motor. They're fine. just a little more limited on performance parts. Usually the best way to tell is the throttle body. the Renix TB is more square in shape than the HO and and is physically a little bit bigger. Also, another quick easy way to tell is look at the firewall from the front of your rig and there shoulod be an oval/squareish coolant overflow bottle right benweath the hood on the left side (with a hose running off of it) on a little metal plate. and by the way, Welcome to NAXJA!

88LaredoAR said:
Thanks
so what you're saying is, to run a later model engine in there they would have had to update all that other stuff too?

yes and no

4.0 blocks are relatively the same. could use a block from a newer engine and swap the top end from the original engine to the newer block.

to swap the whole engine from 91 and up would take some work to make it happen.

Back