• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big a job to remove transfer case?

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
how big of a job is it to remove the tranfer case from an xj. need to swap mine but never took one out before any help would be great

drive shafts, linkage, speedo, crossmember (maybe) then those 6 bolts that mount it to the tranny

the one nut i had a problem getting to was the one that is right up against the transmission mount i believe. i got the job done in just a little over 2 hours with no help after i toasted mine up in the callahans. pretty simple to do i thought.

I had to droop the engine and tranny down to get to one of the bolts. I needed to use a stubby wrench and a hammer.

A ratcheting 9/16" wrench, although not essential, really comes in handy for the TC mounting nuts.

Jeff

Yeah it can be pretty tight in there getting at those 6 nuts.

About a 10" extension with a swivel socket works wonders.

Also, don't forget to disco the vent tube at the top of the t-case towards the drivers side.

MoparManiac said:
Yeah it can be pretty tight in there getting at those 6 nuts.

About a 10" extension with a swivel socket works wonders.

Also, don't forget to disco the vent tube at the top of the t-case towards the drivers side.

for sure. i forgot to disco the vent tube when i did mine. i totally forgot about that. it becomes a real big pain when you forget to to do stuff like that.

Did mine by myself, but i used a trans jack to reinstall... Yep i'm old and weak.. Did it about 5 hours with no help... I used a couple of swivels to get one off.. It was easy after that....

3 hours with a buddy the first time. 1hr my self the second. wish i had ratchetting end wrench would save time on the nuts under the shift linkage bracket.

To get the top nuts off we took a 9/16 wrench and cut it down to about 3 inches long and used the round side. We drilled a hole in the other end and connected about 3 feet of wire to it (coat hanger). We used 4 inches of pipe on the other end of the wire to make a "T" handle. Connected the round side of the wrench to the top nuts and pulled from the bottom. We reversed the process to tighten things up after reinstallation.

Worked like a charm! Oh yeah - we removed the cross member and lowered the trans down as much as it would go and supported it with a jack stand.

ensure all linkages for the t-case shifter are disconnected if dropping your crossmember, i forgot to do mine, it drooped a few inches, and i was under it and wrenching on it.
then i shifted it enough that the arm linkage popped off the rubber bushing and the whole assembly crushed me underneath the jeep.

it was really scarry not being able to squirm out of it, luckily i had a huge pry bar near me i used to help me pry the tranny/engine up enough to slide out from under it!!

hijack here....if i were to swap the 242 tcase from my 2000 into my 98 and my 231 from my 98 back to my 2000 what kind of linkage problems would i have to work out? They both have the same input splines, rear axles and everything so i dont see any other problems besides the linkage

StylerG said:
hijack here....if i were to swap the 242 tcase from my 2000 into my 98 and my 231 from my 98 back to my 2000 what kind of linkage problems would i have to work out? They both have the same input splines, rear axles and everything so i dont see any other problems besides the linkage

Ought to be easy enough without complications. Might check driveshaft lengths to see if they need to be swapped too. Change the console plate too so that you can tell if you are in full time or part time etc....

Back