• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn 5x5.5 Front Hub Conversion

J

JonnyK

Okay, so I've got one on the way. I know I need to get some '82-'86 CJ rotors and have them modified. What I don't know is what calipers to use. I have two sets of XJ calipers - one from the original '95 axle, and one from an '87 axle that was swapped in (to match the gear ratio of the '87 D44 rear that was also swapped in). I know there's a difference in the brake setup between '87 and '95, and I want to order some new pads, but which calipers should I get pads for?

I believe they are the same pads no matter what yr...

Not true. The pads and calipers are different. My question is whether one is better than the other, either in general or for this application? Hasn't anyone done this conversion? What calipers did you use?

If not, I guess I'll wait for the kit to arrive and read the instructions. My guess it probably doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask.

JonnyK said:
Not true. The pads and calipers are different. My question is whether one is better than the other, either in general or for this application? Hasn't anyone done this conversion? What calipers did you use?

If not, I guess I'll wait for the kit to arrive and read the instructions. My guess it probably doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask.

well Autozone and kragen websites show both the newer(00) and older(90) yr cherokee's taking pad number 477..

ROBERTK said:
well Autozone and kragen websites show both the newer(00) and older(90) yr cherokee's taking pad number 477..

Maybe so, but the '87 takes pad number 203.

IIRC, the cut off for the old style and new style calipers is 89-90. The 89 and older has a removable caliper bracket that is bolted to the knuckle. I tend to think they use different pads.

If it were me I'd use the new style stuff - just because it is newer and ultimately will be easier to source. AFAIK both setups are interchangable provided you swap the whole knuckle.

For my build I went with WJ knuckles/calipers with the WARN hub kit. That way I didn't have to modify the CJ rotor and I get massive brakes as well.

HTH

Swap the whole knuckle??? I don't remember a removeable caliper bracket, or the knuckles being different, but I can't tell right now as it's at the shop. If that's the case, I'll probably stick with the '87 calipers and pads.

If I'm going to bother changing knuckles, I might as well go with the WJ setup. The problem is I've already got brand new 15" tires waiting to go on, and what I've read of the WJ swap is that it's best to go with at least 16" wheels. I also have a JCR 1-ton steering setup waiting to go on, and I don't know how that would work out with the WJ knuckles. Maybe I need to do some searching on WJ knuckles/brakes with Warn 5x5.5 hub conversion ...:confused1

Thanks for the info.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can use the Y-link style steering on the WJ knuckles. The WJ has a normal draglink to knuckle and separate tie-rod arrangement.

I suppose really it's not that different but you'd be into new territory and negating part of the appeal of the WJ swap (ditching the Y link configuration). Dunno if there would be clearance issues.

Wait ... the WJ knuckles are 5x5 bolt pattern, correct? Did you just drill them for 5x5.5 so they would fit the hubs?

JonnyK said:
Wait ... the WJ knuckles are 5x5 bolt pattern, correct? Did you just drill them for 5x5.5 so they would fit the hubs?
No, they are not large enough to support a 5 on 5.5" pattern. If you search on the PBB in the "newbie" section for the last few weeks there is a thread on WJ knuckles and it shows what a WJ unit bearing drilled to 5 on 5.5". It'll work well enough for mock up in the shop but I wouldn't drive on it other than to jockey vehicles around the garage.

Oops, I didn't word that correctly. I meant the rotors ... did you use WJ rotors drilled to 5x5.5 to fit the Warn hub conversion, or did you use CJ rotors in place of the WJ rotors?

CJ7 rotors slip over the WARN hub assembly when attached to the modified WJ knuckle. The knuckle requires the 1/4" spacer that JKS sells and I had to machine off ~3/16" off the caliper mounting bosses to get the caliper centered over the rotor. You also put the supplied WARN spacer over the rotor, not sandwiched with the lugs.

If you search jksmfg.com there is a page that outlines the combinations of parts to use with standard unit-bearings and both versions of the WARN hub kit.

Back