• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Roof Rack Strength

axshon

NAXJA Forum User
I have two bike holders from my old car. They are Thule and are supposed to mount on the Thule roof rack but they physically fit on the stock rack on my 2000 XJ Sport. Here's my problem: the front cross bar on my rack is caved from too much weight from the previous owner. I can pick a new cross bar up dirt cheap but I don't want to waste my time if they are not strong enough to hold a couple of bikes. I'm concerned mostly about the lateral torque on them when I'm turning or in a cross wind.

I can't do an honest to goodness roof rack just yet. No money and I still need to get into the low parking garage at work.

This is the bike holder I have:
http://www.thuleracks.com/images/products/599xtr.jpg

I replaced my stock rails because the stock rails are only good to 50-60 pounds. I running a safari rack with my spare in it. I am using three thule bars with rain gutter mounts just to be safe when the rack is completely loaded for camping and road trips. Do you really want to trust the cheap stock rail to hold your bikes?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I wish I hadn't sold the roof bars with the other car. Those puppies are not cheap. The stockers will hold the weight for sure, I'm just not sure about the twisting or crushing forces of the bike rack clamps. If they are hollow, maybe I'll put a piece of reinforcing rod in each one. Its a pretty gentle bend. Just a thought. Gotta do it cheap for the time being.

Here is a quote I posted from an earlier post on racks.
"I would think that a good Thule or yakima rack is your best bet. I have hauled 16- 16' 2X12s with my Yakima (gutter mount)on an XJ. I had to support the center of the poles. They were sagging about 2". Needless to say, I got the same Yakima racks with my new XJ. As far as the stock racks, I have broken them with 3- 8' 2x4s. Won't ever use the stock ones again."

Most stock roof racks are rated for 100 lbs. "evenly distributed". The key word is evenly. Anything heavier I'd use a gutter mount rack. I regularly carry 2 16" canoes that weigh 80+ lbs. apiece. on a slightly modified (I added 6" extensions on either side) gutter mount rack, on the highway, on bumpy a** dirt/gravel roads and even somewhat rocky climbing without a squeak from the rack.

Back