• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliable Head Job! (Sorry its not what you think..)

Hey guys, I think my 5.2l ZJ blew a head gasket... loss of power and leaking oil from front of the block somewhere, I can't really tell. Once I replace the front VC driveshaft (once it comes in this week.) I'm going to take it to a local shop I deal with and ask them to check it out for me. However I'd like to price it out to get a ball park figure of what I'll be looking to bend over and dish out! If anyone knows of a decent shop in the SouthBay, Long Beach, LA area let me know....

Thanks,
Scott Suyeto

Scott, man its time to let go, how much has that damn thing cost you in the last few months??? if you find someone to pull the heads and you need em checked for cracks/valve job/resurfaced let me know i'll hook you up bro. or if you need to find a local shop that wont take you to town i can try to help you with that too.

ScottyDog said:
Hey guys, I think my 5.2l ZJ blew a head gasket... loss of power and leaking oil from front of the block somewhere, I can't really tell. Once I replace the front VC driveshaft (once it comes in this week.) I'm going to take it to a local shop I deal with and ask them to check it out for me. However I'd like to price it out to get a ball park figure of what I'll be looking to bend over and dish out! If anyone knows of a decent shop in the SouthBay, Long Beach, LA area let me know....

Thanks,
Scott Suyeto

a little off the main question, but why did you replace the front shaft? did one of the joints actually come apart? Or was it making some noise at highway speeds?

what year is your ZJ, the older ones had EGR on the passanger side and are a real pain when it come to getting the Intake off.

xjjeeper19 said:
a little off the main question, but why did you replace the front shaft? did one of the joints actually come apart? Or was it making some noise at highway speeds?

what year is your ZJ, the older ones had EGR on the passanger side and are a real pain when it come to getting the Intake off.

95... It has the CV front drive shaft that is not rebuildable.... It snapped off inside the boot....

ScottyDog said:

Thanks,
Scott Suyeto
Alldata calls for 5.1 hours labor to R&R one head so you do the math for you local.

ScottyDog said:
95... It has the CV front drive shaft that is not rebuildable.... It snapped off inside the boot....

they are not rebuildable, but they are adjustable for lenght. If the are not adjusted right, they tend to make noise. I can get you the measurement for the new shaft.

Justin

I would expect no less than $1000 from a reputable shop. Don't skimp on the "extras" either. Good time to do belts, hoses, T-stat, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, etc, etc. Make sure they get the heads to a competent machine shop to be checked out. Be sure to tell them about the oil leak...it may not be something in common with the head job and you don't want to find out later and be pissed off at them.

Wish I was closer, can always use the work.

Back