• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Years?

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
i know this is sort of a techy question but i just figured i'd kill two birds with one stone and let you guys know whats going on with me.

so yesterday the aw4 decided that it had paid its dues.

i already have an ax15 that needs rebuilt but nothing as far as linkage or pedal assembly or anything. just the tranny.

so i start looking around for a parts jeep that will have the extra stuff i need.

i find a 91 4.0 5spd.

does anyone know what years have the BA-10 and which ones have the AX15?

i'll also be creating a FS thread for jeep parts after i pull what i need.

The transition to AX-15's started in '90 I think, but Avanteone can confirm that. Also, you will want the external slave cylinder on the later bellhousings. Again, Avanteone will be able to tell you what years to look for.

But, why do you want to go to a 5-speed? I'm running a manual, and I will probably convert it to auto someday. Autos are much easier to finesse in rocks. stick with the auto. My .02 cents.

-Jeremy

X2 on sticking /w the auto.

'89 could go either way, '90 MOST were AX15's but I think I've seen a Peugeot in them. By '91 all were AX15's. The '94 or '95+ is the one /w the external slave cyl. outside the bellhousing that's more desirable. I have just a bellhousing if you're still interested.

John

For the most part, the change from BA-10/5 to AX-15 happened in AUG89 (although they used a lot of "leftover parts" for a couple of years...)

The earlier AX-15 had the same size input pilot as the BA-10, so that saves trouble. The later ones have a larger pilot - plenty of information here:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

For 2001 (I believe,) the AX-15 was replaced by the NV3550. Also, there are two styles of AX-15: the "internal" (uses that TO bearing/slave cylinder combination...) to 1995 or so, and the "external" (separate TO bearing and slave cylinder) forward. I'm not entirely sure when they split that out, tho. The hydraulics are different all around for the two versions.

For pedal parts and such, I've got a 1990 that I'm going to cut up (it donated its AX15 already - but I want to convert to "external...) and I can spare the clutch pedal and such out of that, if you like. We can talk swap or cash.

@Avanteone - what would you want for that bell? That's the only part I've not been able to find new...

this is a complete rig.

i'll be swapping the engine and tranny at the same time.

and i'll probably be putting it in from underneath because i'll need to swap front axles as well.

thanks for the replies, thats what i wanted to hear.

5-90 said:
@Avanteone - what would you want for that bell? That's the only part I've not been able to find new...

I've been hesitant to sell it because I have ambitions of Jeepspeed SOMEDAY.... but I'd be willing to give it up for $100.

J

oh and i failed to explain why i want a 5spd

its because most of the wheeling my club and i do is exploring mountain roads and such. its really hard to descend a road with an automatic.

[music]Those brakes get hot, hot, hot![/music]

I seriously considered the mod for mine. The fact that I scored a brand new clutch slave, pressure plate, disk, along with a used ax15, and np231 for $80 made me stick with the internal slave. :). I will say that dropping a transmission is not that bad.

I rebuilt the ax15 and the only think that really upset me is that on install I noticed that the pilot bearing was just a race, all the needle bearings were just gone. This meant that the input shaft bearing was shot on my original gearbox. I could tell that some "mechanic" had just crammed a replacement engine into place figuring by the time the transmission failed no one would connnect it back to them. Anyway you may want to look here.

http://car-part.com/

Search for a bellhousing later than 95 for a manual tramsmission. This is what I would have done if I had decided to do the mod. My original internal slave looks like it lasted for over 150k by the way. Really the fact of the matter is that with a fairly decent replacement internal slave, with bellows, it will probably last as long as the clutch disk.
Call it a french "freedom slave" :)

My 90 had an AX15 too. I am really intrigued with the whole manual versus automatic transmission discussion. I have noticed on the trail that clutch control becomes, challenging in some places but I think I still prefer it over the using the brakes to control engine speed. I just cannot bring myself to owning a vehicle with an automatic. Think it is some sort of Brit thing. :)

Good luck with your project.

nickguy said:
I am really intrigued with the whole manual versus automatic transmission discussion. I have noticed on the trail that clutch control becomes, challenging in some places but I think I still prefer it over the using the brakes to control engine speed. I just cannot bring myself to owning a vehicle with an automatic. Think it is some sort of Brit thing.
I'm in the process of rethinking my swap to an AW4 with the latest XJ. For technical rockcrawling, the auto is the way to go. Last year in Moab I just about lost my mind trying to deal with my AX-15. I swore I'd never return to Moab without an automatic; but I miss the manual.

My ideal combination (one I'm working on putting together) is a diesel (but most likely a built 4.0), manual trans (5 or 6 speed) and an Atlas t-case. Stay tuned.

-----Matt-----

Nice thread, I'm going to be doing this about the same time I stick my 8.8 rear end in the ol heep. This thread and the links in it are awesome.

Back