• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cuts out around corners

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
just purchased a 98 xj 4.0 auto

drives fine, idels fine, and has plenty of power.

BUT....

if i gun it around a corner the car loses power and revs drop back to around idel then she picks up again.

Any ideas?

I had this problem with my 98 xj, but only when my fuel level was below 1/4 tank. It was still under warranty so I took it back to the dealership. They dropped the gas tank and replaced the fuel pickup (I THINK). That was about 100k miles ago. It doesn't sputter anymore.

was thinking maybe fuel pump, but pick up line makes sense too.

This was happening at 1/4 of a tank as well.

do replacement tanks like genright come with new pick up lines, as i'm thinking about a long range tank?

AussieDave said:
was thinking maybe fuel pump, but pick up line makes sense too.

This was happening at 1/4 of a tank as well.

do replacement tanks like genright come with new pick up lines, as i'm thinking about a long range tank?

Do you have the small or big tank? I think they had the 14 and 19 gallon version IIRC?

Either the pickup tube has come off of the fuel pump, it's just held on there with a little rubber pressfit o-ring, or you may have lost "the sock" on the pickup tube, it holds fuel around the tube when the fuel level sloshes around and uncovers it. Same thing happened to me, I lost "the sock", fished the sock out put it back on and all beater car...better car.

Back