• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fresh Vacuum Hose Boots

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, I haven't been to the boards in probably 6 months, since I finished fixing up my '95 Cherokee (2.5L I4/AX-5/2WD) for my daughter to drive around.

I did as much as possible to clean up the motor, and freshen it up. It still had good compression, despite a lot of dirt, clogged CCV system and badly leaking and corrosion filled cooling system. I was still disappointed in how poorly the motor responded and poor driveability. Mileage was only 19MPG, on the hi-way (Remember this is the 4cyl & 2WD).

I replaced a couple of the more common sensors that wear out or cause problems, TPS, Coolant Temp, MAP, etc. Only a little better.

Then I noticed, the boots on most of my vacuum lines were just about falling off the nipples in the intake manifold, all swollen or dry rotted. Got about 7-8 new boots and some fuel line to replace the rotted line from the evap canister, replaced them all. Now all the vacuum lines fit tight and seal well. Including the vacuum lines to the Fuel Press Regulator and MAP Sensor (so NOT only vacuum leaks but poor vacuum signal to motor controls/sensors).

The motor runs much better, driveability is now what I expect, smoother as well. I can't wait to see if I get any improvement in mileage.

I doubt I'm the only one with a 10 year plus XJ like this. Just a friendly recommendation, check all those boots and vacuum lines and makes sure they seal tightly. If NOT, then head to your local auto store, they have replacement vacuum boots, even the hard emissions tubing. Get them all sealed up and you might be surprised at the improvement.

I can't believe I and my daughter was driving the motor around like this for the last 6 months, if I had only recognized this sooner.

Back