• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monache Meadows

phreaker76

NAXJA Forum User
Ok all I'm taking my Ford Econoline and my cherokee or quads "haven't decided yet which one" up to Monache Meadows with a couple buddies on the weekend of april 26th. I haven't hammered out all the details yet but I know there are some good primitive camping spots as well as some fee campgrounds with hookups there. If anyone is interested in meeting up there I think it would be great to get a group of people. I'll be bringing along plenty of beer and some bbq stuff. Let me know what you all think of the area as far as offroading and if any one is interested in camping out that weekend. Oh almost forgot I'm a big flyfisherman and will be bringing along my fly rod too. If any one else out there is a fly fisherman don't forget the rods. I think this is a strictly catch and release and Artificial Flies only area.. So no worms!!!

Last edited:
Have you contacted the RS yet?

Is the gate open to Monache?

I will be calling Kernville Forest Station tomorrow. Does anyone know the status on this area yet? I thought it was usually open by late april but I may be wrong.

It should be open as that is the trout opener weekend. Lots of good cold water/stream fishing up there. The golden trout are small but put up a good fight.

Beware that there will still be some snow up there. Mostly on north facing hills. Is'nt MM at about 8000' elevation?

Aaron

Is your Van a 4X conversion? Getting "down" into Monanche shouldn't be too big of a deal but, the climb back out is pretty loose and steep and would be pretty tough without 4WD then again, the gate might not even be open yet. You were talking about "hookups" so I assume you meant Kennedy Meadows :dunno: ----------Hans

I'm going to park the van at a flat spot I know of before the gate. then I'll take the quads or xj from there. Yeah the hookups would be in Kennedy.

Hmm, I really like camping at Monache......I might be up for that if, I can talk the boss (Mrs) into it. Would my dogs be a problem?---------Hans

oh daym......

Ok i'll bite.. Whats up corbina.. Now I know you have to have a few fly rods sitting around with a name like yours.. No 8 weights allowed though. these are tiny goldens... lol

phreaker76 said:
Ok i'll bite.. Whats up corbina.. Now I know you have to have a few fly rods sitting around with a name like yours.. No 8 weights allowed though. these are tiny goldens... lol
I know. I've fished up in Kennedy Meadows before. Those goldens are some of the prettiest fish. Now I'm just a jeeper that wishes he had more time to wet a line.

Well just got word .. Monache SHOULD be open on Memorial weekend. So looks like the trip is gonna be moved down the road for another date.

Back