• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof Question

xjcjfreek

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 Cherokee with a sunroof over the front seat area. It looks factory, but I cant find any info on this. My question is, Was there a factory option for a sunroof? And if so, How many were produced? Thanks in advance.:rof:

Yes, there was an option later on, there may have been an option in 86 as well,

The easiest way too tell if it's not OE, look at the sunroof, if it has a frame on top of the roof, it's aftermarket (in most cases). If the glass is level with the roof and no exposed frame, then it's OE (in most cases).

Plus I think AMC used a hand crank (wheel) to open their roof, most aftermarket companies had a latch.....

Would love to add one my self i got a quote form a dealer on a car i owned back in 98 and it would have cost me 400 bucks 10 years ago so i can only assume that it would run about 800 installed now. I wouldnt do it your self for the simple fact that if it leaks its on you and most companies will ensure it for leaks for a couple of years.

my 90 had one. It had a crank and was removeable, though I am not sure if it was factory- it was a while ago and Al Gore had not yet invented the internet. :gag: Frankly, I don't plan on ever buying another XJ with one. It leaked worse than my camaro's t-tops. The air noise was horrible and forget going through an automatic carwash. The only time it sealed even a little was after a fresh coat of silicon on the gaskets (non-drying goopy stuff). Of course with all the companies out there supplying parts now, I might have been able to locate a new seal that would have taken care of the issue. Good luck with your search.

Back