• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Dana 30 u-joint replace

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
I started replacing the wheel bearing Assembly and the u-joints today (Sunday). It took me about 30 minutes to get everything off including the axle (driver's side) and about 1 1/2 hours to bang out the damn u-joint!

Since the u-joint wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (no vice, no press) I went to work on the passenger side.

OMG what a B*TCH! I've moved the cap about 1/16 of an inch and now it is stuck. This is on the main axle side. I managed to get one cap off the short axle, before my non-stop hammering took it's toll after about 3 hours.

I just got back from Wal-Mart buying one of those torches, and a 2.5 mini-sledge!

Before I fire up the axle in the morning I thought I'd seek some wise old NAXJA advice.

I know get a workbench and a vice, ain't going to happen tomorrow so will heating it cause any problems?

Yes all the "C" clips have been removed.

do yourself a favor and rent a ball joint/u-joint press, if you can't buy one...

most part stores (AZ, Checker, etc) will rent them out...

I cant imagine doing this without a press or at least a vice...

a press is the only way i have done u joints - if not a ball joint tool would be your most economical and portable solution

Great advice. I wasn't looking forward to beating that u-joint again today, for no telling how long.

I went to Oreily Auto Parts and borrowed the ball joint/u-joint press also know as the "BIG ASS C" clamp.

$225 deposit and I was on my way back home.

The cap that I couldn't move with my hammer, popped under the strain of the clam. Much like a bolt does when you break it lose.

two of the cap just plain broke apart. I'm not sure what the problem was with that u-joint. It could be just fractures formed from the hours of me beating on them.

I was surprised to see that Chrysler used "Spicer" u-joints in the Dana 30.

At any rate the u-joints and wheel bearing Assembly have been replaced. I did this because of the popping noise I was getting, but found out recently that is probably the chain in my 242 transfer case.

At 130k it is still good to have these NEW pieces replaced. Now I just need to either find a replacement NP242, and rebuild the one I have, or I might get brave and just try to replace the chain.

Thanks again for the info about the clamp. The XJ is back on the road again!

Back