• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive plate to torque converter bolts

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am swaping out my old 4.0 for a newwer on and so far i took out the old engine and got the new one in and got the motor mounts lined up and the 2 star shape bolts on the top of the transmission in and now im trying to get the drive plate to the torque converter holes to line up so i can put the bolts in but i cant get them to. so what is the best way to get these things to line up so i can move on and finish installation?

thanks,
mike

p.s. its on a 1988 cherokee, 4.0, automatic

Undo the motor mounts and start wiggling it to line it up, and the most important thing to remember is to cuss a lot

1988cherokeexj said:
ok so i am swaping out my old 4.0 for a newwer on and so far i took out the old engine and got the new one in and got the motor mounts lined up and the 2 star shape bolts on the top of the transmission in and now im trying to get the drive plate to the torque converter holes to line up so i can put the bolts in but i cant get them to. so what is the best way to get these things to line up so i can move on and finish installation?

thanks,
mike

p.s. its on a 1988 cherokee, 4.0, automatic

I think I know what you are talking about.

I had a friend turn the crank with a long handled ratchet and socket on the hramonic balancer nut. I believe you have to turn it like you are trying to tighten it. Basically, you want to turn it in the same direction it turns when it is running.

It takes some good communication between the guy turning the crank and the guy trying to visually line up the holes. Just remember not to go back if you missed the hole, you have to just keep turning it the same direction and go slow unitl it is lined up. Once you get one bolt in, it gets a lot easier.

:roll: Another way to do it if you can't find a friend. (I'm assuming that the "drive plate" is the flywheel) Get a wide blade screw driver or pry bar and move the flywheel by putting the blade between the teeth on the flywheel and the case of the tranny. You can move the flywheel any direction and you can see when the converter hole lines up. Make sure the tranny is bolted to the engine block tight. It will make it alot easier.

ok so now i got the drive plate to turn but its making the torque converter turn with it so i can get the holes to line up. so what is the best way to get the torque converter to stop spinning with it?

p.s. i have been cussing a lot and it wont stop the torque converter to stop moving, i thought it would. hahaha

1988cherokeexj said:
ok so now i got the drive plate to turn but its making the torque converter turn with it so i can get the holes to line up. so what is the best way to get the torque converter to stop spinning with it?

p.s. i have been cussing a lot and it wont stop the torque converter to stop moving, i thought it would. hahaha

Can you stick a screw driver or something in there to keep the torque converter from rotating? I can't remember how much room there is in there, it has been a long time for me, so disregard if it is a stupid suggestion.

Are you sure the torque converter was fully seated in the transmission? I could turn the TC very easily when I replaced the AW4 on my 01 XJ.

The guy who sold me the transmission was a certified tech and he told me several times to make sure the TC was fully seated before installing (sounded like been there, done that). It took a little time to get it into position.

When I removed and reinstalled my trans I accidentally ruined the CPS. I didn't lose spark altogether, but I bent it enough to make it run terrible.

1988cherokeexj said:
i got it guys thanks a lot, but now im not getting a spark so now i have a nothing thing to cuss at till it gets fixed i guess?
im thinking that its the cps

Did you put the CPS and flywheel from your old motor onto the new one? They are different from the Renix to the HOs.

ratherbcamping said:
Are you sure the torque converter was fully seated in the transmission? I could turn the TC very easily when I replaced the AW4 on my 01 XJ.

The guy who sold me the transmission was a certified tech and he told me several times to make sure the TC was fully seated before installing (sounded like been there, done that). It took a little time to get it into position.
Yeah, if its not engaged on the pump right it can really ruin the pump and the T/C. I would know from experience.

ok so i got the whole engine in and figured out why i wasnt getting spark, it was the cps i took the old one out and it was broken really bad, so replaced that and now it runs again!!! im so happy!
thanks for everyones help!
-mike

Back