• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box wear

XJ have recirculating ball steering boxes (more rare today), they are more rugit than rack & pinion. People usually have to fix/replace them for leaking to much before they actually have steering problems.

Don't forget, worn tie-rods and damper, will also give you sloppy steering.

As well, you can adjust the pre-tension on the worm gear when it gets sloppy. Don't do this unless necessary, and only make a tiny adjustment, over adjust this and you'll chew up that gear box and need a new one for sure.

So, if its NOT leaking, and there is NOT obvious slop in the steering, that is NOT tie-rods/damper. Your steering box should be fine.

Also remember, recirculating ball does NOT have the tight, feed back feel of rack & pinion. So if your comparing your steering with a rack & pinion equipped car, that might be what is making you think your steering box is worn. A brand new recirculating ball box is NEVER going to feel as tight and road feeling as a rack & pinion steering.

Rack & Pinion is NOT very suitable to work with a live axle, as well, it is probably more likely to get damaged during off-roading than a recirculating ball, and plenty of people have damaged their recirculating ball boxes off-roading, since its so rough on the steering. In case your wondering why Chrysler/AMC went with a reciculating ball box over a r&S.

Last edited:
sorry to hijack, but...

if the box is leaking and it seems there is a bit more play than normal, what should one do...I've already tightened the the pre-tension once, albeit only an 1/8th of a turn. I'm thinking of tightening again, as I am trying to put off having to buy a new one for at least a few months anyway.

You won't fix the leak or most kinds of play by adjusting the preload, and you run the risk of dangerous binding if you overdo it.

Check the pitman bearing for wear. If you get down on the ground while someone else wiggles the steering back and forth, you'll see the side play if it's there. No adjustment for that, just rebuild or replace. If it's off the vehicle, it can be pretty hard to check that.

For adjustment, you really should do the input shaft bearing preload first, then the lash adjustment on the top, and follow the service manual instructions. Whatever you do, don't ever tighten that lash with the box off center. It is purposely designed to be looser off center than on center, and if you tighten it off center, it will bind on center, and you might actually lose control.

If you haven't gone underneath and checked to find out where the looseness is, you need to do that before you make any other decision.

This kind of box will have a little play, and even sometimes a little clicking, when it's not running, or dry of fluid. Once the fluid is circulating, it will tighten up a bit.

I'm in work and they have blocked ebay on this PC (ba$tards) so I can't give you auction #. There is a guy on there selling these boxes for around $100, I forget the exact amount, no core charge. I know two ppl that have bought these, no probs. reported.

Throttle said:
Well I took it in for an alignment and the guys said my sector shaft bearings were shot and I needed to get a new steering box.
And he was just the guy to do it, for a small fee, right?

I'd get a 2nd opinion. Yea, its possible the bearing are shot on the box, but its just as likely its a mechanic trying to drum up some extra work.

Is the box leaking at all? Do you off-road the jeep much? Been driving for a while with bad suspension, tie-rods, damper? Raised Suspension? Got over-sized wheels/tires?

If you've overstressed or abused the box, I wouldn't be too surprised.

If the box is NOT leaking, and hasn't been abused, nor do you notice anything wrong with the steering, I'd get a 2nd opinion before shelling out the bucks for a new one.

I'm not really concerned about fixing the leak, I'm more concerned about what's causing the leak. I'm sure that adjusting the preload will do nothing for the leak, that's ok. I'm more worried about the front end jarring when I hit a bump. I know there's supposed to be a little play in the steering box, but I think I've got a lot. I've been driving an all stock 98 and have been having front end issues for the past year. I've been fixing as I can, replaced the trackbar first, then ball joints, u-joints (since I was in there), then all control arms. I'm looking at tie rod ends and the steering box as my last possibilities. Although, I was under her the other day and i think I noticed 1/8" of play in the track bar frame mount, you guys think that's enough to cause problems???

Any other thoughts guys, again sorry to kinda hijack the thread.

rockjockphatts said:
I'm not really concerned about fixing the leak, I'm more concerned about what's causing the leak. I'm sure that adjusting the preload will do nothing for the leak, that's ok. I'm more worried about the front end jarring when I hit a bump. I know there's supposed to be a little play in the steering box, but I think I've got a lot. I've been driving an all stock 98 and have been having front end issues for the past year. I've been fixing as I can, replaced the trackbar first, then ball joints, u-joints (since I was in there), then all control arms. I'm looking at tie rod ends and the steering box as my last possibilities. Although, I was under her the other day and i think I noticed 1/8" of play in the track bar frame mount, you guys think that's enough to cause problems???

Any other thoughts guys, again sorry to kinda hijack the thread.
Any play in the trackbar is enough to cause problems.

Have you guys ever heard of the mount wearing (as in the hole that accepts the tie rod end of the track bar) I'm quite confident that the mount and frame is not broke or cracked. No movement in the mount just the tre.

Back