• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove u-joint

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it took about 5-6 hours pounding the snot out of the front hub assembly to get it out. I left the axle attached to it so hopefully I didn't do any damage.

Now I'm trying to replace the really bad 18 year old u-joint.I need this done by tomorrow and am having trouble getting the old one out. (BTW, I tried searching for threads on how to remove a u-joint, but I got more threads on how to change a radiator, this search function is lacking to say the least).

OK, so I have tried pressing it out with 2 sockets and a vice and am getting no where. How else can I tackle this with basic hand tools?

Also, I noticed the original u-joint caps say "Spicer 8" on one and "Spicer 5" on another, does this mean there are two different sized caps?

Please help, I am ready to stop working on this Jeep for a while. BTW, I have been working on this Jeep for 8-10 hrs a day for a week, my gf is getting ready to leave me if I don't finish this soon.

Thanks.

Tommy4949 said:
I have been working on this Jeep for 8-10 hrs a day for a week, my gf is getting ready to leave me if I don't finish this soon.

Thanks.
haha been there man.

i assume you shot it all up with pb blaster or wd40 or something like that? sometimes they are REALLY siezed in there from rust. you took the retaining clips off right? the little half circle clips on the caps? if so , put in on the ground, put your little socket in there and hit it with a bigass hammer. get it to move one way just a little bit, then the other. moving it back and forth sometimes helps to free em up.

hope this helps. sorry about your lost gf, you're gunna be working on it for awhile still ;)

Try penatrant wd, or the like, check for retaining clips, hit it with the BFH, which in layman's terms is the Big Friggin Hammer.

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally got with some help from a friend who had done them before. I didn't take the c-clips out cause it was so rusted, I couldn't see them!!! When I did get them out, they just broke into pieces. Well, I got my Jeep all together and just need to bleed the brakes tomorrow. Then All I have left is the Detour's BackBone and Smittybilt winch, then it's off to the trails. I will be putting the RE drop brackets and braces in when I get some time and a few days of warm weather. Thanks again guys.

i actually just got done doing this it is a pain in the ass that is all i have to say and when you put the new ones in make sure that they are in enough before you put the clips on and another thing is to remember where everything goes

Back