• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the name of this bolt?

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I fouled up the bolt that tightens the pluuey that tightens the serp belt. I was trying to explain it to the "parts pro" at Kragen but it was useless. Anyone know exactly what is it called?

kdailey4315 said:
I fouled up the bolt that tightens the pluuey that tightens the serp belt. I was trying to explain it to the "parts pro" at Kragen but it was useless. Anyone know exactly what is it called?

What year?

On RENIX, it's a 5/16"-18 screw about five inches long, that's "fully threaded." (Typically, a screw is only threaded for a length equal to three times the nominal diameter - a long 5/16" screw would be threaded to a length of 15/16", or a shade less than an inch.)

I highly doubt that Kragen's will have what you're looking for. "Fully threaded" screws are typically a specialty item - go to a fastener supply house like Fastenal. www.fastenal.com should help you dig up a local branch, since they're all over.

If you're not in the 1987-1990 (RENIX) range, see if you can't salvage a section of the threaded part so you can match it up.

Also, make sure that the knuckle that rides on the screw isn't buggered up, and not the screw itself. Those little "knuckles" are made from powdered metal, and the threads pull out fairly easily (or the damn things just crack.) I've not had to replace a screw, but I have had to replace not less than four of those knuckles... The knuckle is OEMR only, you'll have to go to the dealer for that.

(You can probably also find the screw at the dealer, but it's likely it will be rather cheaper at Fastenal.)

Not sure of the name. I would call it the belt adjusting bolt. Just pull the bolt and bring it in.
You might have better luck finding a replacement at a hardware store.

Jess said:
Not sure of the name. I would call it the belt adjusting bolt. Just pull the bolt and bring it in.

It's a 97 Sport. I went to the hardward store but the longest bolt they have is 5". The bolt I need is 8" long.

Jess said:

Most hardware stores don't carry "fully threaded" screws either. You can probably fake something up using threaded rod and a nut - just weld the nut on the end so you have a hex you can grab (come to think on it...)

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
34202480 $16.70 $0.00 $18.37

BOLT HEX FLANGE HEAD

Thats outrageous for a bolt, hex, flange head....thats a 90' part #. I stretched mine.Couldn't find one at the hardware store (didn't expect to) went to local garages, second one had an old bolt laying around that did the job. No charge.
His generosity paid off, work that I don't feel like doing he now gets.

If it is the type that has the adjustable idler pulley below the power steering pump it is a 8" long 8mmx1.25 all-threaded bolt(very difficult to find and costly).

I just twisted mine off on the trail rig and due to the fact it is the weekend,(no dealers or JY's open) and I want to get it going quick, here is what I did to fix it;

I re-drilled the adjuster block(the hole that the adjuster bolt runs through, not the pulley bolt hole) with a 5/16" drill and tapped it for a 3/8x16 hole. I then went to the hardware store and bought a 12" piece of all-thread 3/8x16 rod and cut it to lenght(8") and tapered down one end to fit into the lower hole. I then welded a 3/8x16 nut to the top of it and installed it. Put some never sieze on the threaded rod and this will never be a issue again.

Works great, no issues.

5-90 said:
Most hardware stores don't carry "fully threaded" screws either. You can probably fake something up using threaded rod and a nut - just weld the nut on the end so you have a hex you can grab (come to think on it...)

I am lucky to have a "fastener store" about 5 minutes from my house and they usually have anything I need.

Back