• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender trimming (99XJ + RE5.5" + 33x12.5 treads)

xj_newb

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone had any success keeping your stock 97+ front fenders with ~5.5" of lift and 33's? (99XJ, RE 5.5" lift, 33x12.5 tires on 15x8's w/ 3 5/16" backspacing). I've read all the how-to's for trimming, but would like to keep the existing flares, and don't really want to run bushwackers.

After folding in the body at the rear of the front fender wells a couple times, I was thinking of just trimming off select sections of the sheet metal underneath the flares. This would leave the flares in the stock positions, but at extreme "stuffs," hopefully the tire would only hit the flare (and not the body).

I've also heard of a few people moving there flares up a bit for this sorta thing.

Thanks,
xj_newb

If you bumpstop it you could leave them and prevent them from hitting anymore but it will limit your uptravel. Or you could do a combination of moving them up, bumpstopping, and selective trimming to give yourself the more flex possible.

I am running 4.5" RE with 33"X12.5" TSL's. (Sorry I don't know the offset.) Anyway I trimmed a moderate amount and raised the stock flares. The tires stuff pretty well and I haven't had any rubbing issues.

024.jpg

Back