• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace TPS or let it slide

Hudson Bend

NAXJA Forum User
1200 miles from home. Check engine light comes on. Code reads TPS so I look inside air intake and see mucho carbon buildup. Clean out carbon and check code again but then the check engine light goes out. Drive forty miles and it comes back on with same code for TPS. Can I drive my 96xj with 155k manual the 1200 miles back home before replacing it or am I gambling with the deck stacked against me? If I ignore the light, will my fuel feed or ignition be affected by a TPS needing replacement? I have this weekend to resolve this delimma and do not want to be stuck along some lonely interstate being rocked to sleep by thundering semis rolling by in the rain. I would appreciate any and all help that some of you may have buried in an accessible part of your memory. Should I replace the TPS or let it slide?

whats stopping you from replacing it?

undo 2 screws and it in. its plug and play on a 96 and doesnt need to be adjusted.

if you can get the part enroute I don't see a down side to taking the time to replace it.
if it bugars up your milege, over that distance it would cost you the same as not replacing it now. but you'd have to replace it in the end anyway.
replace now = $70 and 20 mins
replace later = $150, 20 mins and worrying about affects of this problem not being fixed.

Thanks guys. Of course you're both right. Sometimes common sense gets left at home when you go on vacation. I will replace it this weekend and be done with it. I guess I was guilty of thinking that the TPS was such a minor sensor in what it controlled that it would not be missed for a while. I failed to see the XJ as a complex piece of machinery in which all parts worked intricately together, in harmony so to speak. NAPA here I come.

Back