• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Places to source warrantied motors?

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Lookin for a motor to drop into our 88 Chief.

I'm looking for suggestions on places (actual businesses) to source one from. Reason being that I need to have some kind of guarantee/warranty on it, so that I don't get a lemon.

Now I'm not too sure on interchangeability in years past 1990, but it'd be best to just have something I can drop right in without changing things much.

If you can suggest a good place to source one, that would be great.

JR

Jasper has one for about $2200 with a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty.

My vote... Buy a junkyard motor, give it a quick once over or refresh before you install it.. If it fails, rinse and repeat......

I just can't see spending more for the motor than the whole vehicle is worth.

one of my ex-got her oil changed when she was getting new tires and they forgot to do the oil change and her engine was toast...she ended up gettin a new engine for free...she was happy

menos said:
Jasper has one for about $2200 with a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty.

My vote... Buy a junkyard motor, give it a quick once over or refresh before you install it.. If it fails, rinse and repeat......

I just can't see spending more for the motor than the whole vehicle is worth.

Yeah, paid under $300 for the Jeep, definitely not gonna spend a ton on an engine.

Albino Krikit said:
one of my ex-got her oil changed when she was getting new tires and they forgot to do the oil change and her engine was toast...she ended up gettin a new engine for free...she was happy

How is that helpful?

Second the salvage yard motor, there rebuilt/reconditioned motors out there with 90 days to a 1 year warranty. I know a lot of ppl. have had probs. with them. I'd look around and try to find something up to a 90'. you'll still be Renix that way.

Jasper, good warranty, if you have a jasper dealer install it they cover it nationwide labor and engine. I have had two jasper engines, one in a 96 olds and the current one in my 98XJ. I also had a jasper trans in the oldsmobile. The XJ engine has been in 2 years now, so far so good.
Friend of ours had one put in his TJ, it went bad when they drove from here in pa to Disney in Orlando, they picked it up at the hotel at Disney, replaced the engine and dropped it back off no charge in I think 3 days.

comment: currently not available from Jasper.

I'm having a hard time with this...junkyards not having anything, and remans being too much $$.

I'd really like to keep this at about $500 and remans are gonna run $1600ish

They may show 'not available' but that was also true of the olds transmission, the shop ordered it and it took jasper about 5-8 days to build and ship it.

You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather to take his word for it? Jasper sucks and is overpriced. A lot of "nicer" junkyards will offer warranties on their engines for a few more simoleons.

I think we might end up just changing the rear main and headgasket and just have the head rebuilt while its off. If we can't stay on the cheap with this Jeep, it might not be worth messing with.

pasco auto wrecking will warrantee you one for 90 days or so many miles. i forget. my dad got a motor for his chevy truck from there. yes, i know a hike, but 's the only place i can think of.

Back