• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan test?

icewolf73

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way I can test my electric fan to see if its dead or if my relay is bad? I am still getting a temp reading on the gauge inside, but my aux. fan doesn't seem to be coming on; thus, I got HOT in line at Wendy's and in traffic on the highway this evening (just shy of red). Thermostat is only about 4 months old. Water pump is only about 4 months old. I have been in the same traffic when it was 75 outside about a week ago and barely got over 210 before it started dropping again. Now, it just keeps going up, though slowly.

Any other possibilities?

So the fan isnt coming on after 218F? Should be about the first tick after the vertical one. Do you have a check engine light? Either way check fuse number 11. It controls EVAP, fog lights, and reverse lights to name a few. I think its blue and 15amp? Maybe 20amp i forgot. But I remember when that thing blew i lost reverse lights, evap (the reason for check engine light), and my e-fan. Might help to put the year and all that. Good luck.

You can jumper the fan from the battery to see if it is good or if you need to look elsewhere.

disconnnect the plug on the temp sender to the ecu on the thermostat housing. It will turn the fan on and check engine light will come on.

Start simple. In the power distribution center under the hood there is a mini fuse (15A or 20A can't remember which at the moment) check that first.

Jess said:
disconnnect the plug on the temp sender to the ecu on the thermostat housing. It will turn the fan on and check engine light will come on.

This won't tell me if the relay of the fan is dead though, will it? If the relay is out then the fan won't come on.

I jumped the fan it came on. I unplugged the sending unit at the thermostat and the fan came on. I checked the fuses in engine compartment and they are all good. I played musical relays with both aux. fan relays, the starter relay and the AC relay. Jeep started each time, but when I turned on the AC, the fan did not come on. AC is not charged right now and the compressor isn't kicking over, but that still isn't telling me why my fan didn't kick on when I got hot last night. I don't have a check engine light on so my fuse under the dash is still good, right? Any other ideas?

Last edited:
BBeach said:
:wave:
Did you even try to do the 15 or 20amp fuse in the kick panel area by the front passenger's right foot? It's #11 and it controlled the efan.

No, I didn't know there was ANOTHER fuse down there; I thought the fuses inside the Jeep were on the driver's side by the left foot. How many fuses and relays does this little fan have? :dunno:

BBeach said:
:wave:
Did you even try to do the 15 or 20amp fuse in the kick panel area by the front passenger's right foot? It's #11 and it controlled the efan.

You were almost right. #11 & #13 in the fuse/relay box are in the engine compartment on the passenger. Yes, I checked both of them earlier and both are good.

icewolf73 said:
You were almost right. #11 & #13 in the fuse/relay box are in the engine compartment on the passenger. Yes, I checked both of them earlier and both are good.
Nope there's another set of fuses underneath the glove box. The ones I had under the hood were fine but the ones in the kick panel were blown. It's a separate location.

BBeach said:
Nope there's another set of fuses underneath the glove box. The ones I had under the hood were fine but the ones in the kick panel were blown. It's a separate location.

What year model? I don't have any fuses under the glove box/on the passenger side.

BBeach said:
Ive got a 98. Dunno where you "smaller access panel" is.

Ah, your '98 is gonna have a few things different than my '91. My fuses are under the driver's side dash and on the passenger side engine compartment behind the battery.

icewolf73 said:
Ah, your '98 is gonna have a few things different than my '91. My fuses are under the driver's side dash and on the passenger side engine compartment behind the battery.
Gotcha, did the one on the driver side kick panel work? I've got the ones under the hood on passenger side too and that one was fine but the one in the passenger compartment was blown.

BBeach said:
Gotcha, did the one on the driver side kick panel work? I've got the ones under the hood on passenger side too and that one was fine but the one in the passenger compartment was blown.

My kick panel doesn't have fuses for the aux. fan. The fuse (for mine) is in the engine compartment next to the first relay.

Now I find that my fan seems to be working most of the time. I am not sure what else could be causing me to overheat. It doesn't happen fast; just after I have been sitting or I am in SLOW traffic for at least 5 minutes. Then it slowly creeps up. It's like my cooling system just isn't quite adequate, but it is a recent development. The only thing I have changed is a put in a working AC compressor. I tightened my belt up some this morning since it was a little loose. The one other possibility is the pulley for my power steering is starting to die (it squeals sometimes on start up) and it might be creating a drag on the system.

Back