• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter houseing leak..and radiator needs to be cleaned out

deathrowrican93

NAXJA Forum User
Its the part that the oil filter connects to the engine block its a bad leak how can I fix and how much..how can I clean out my radiator? Thank you..

You can buy the"O"ring kit to fix the oil filter adapt. Its only a few bucks.
If you do a reverse flush be careful of the heater hose connections, they are old and fragile.
On my 90' I just added the flush to coolant bottle ("turtle") and followed the directions. Drained, flushed til water ran clear, drained again, you want to get out all the tap water that you can, it will leave mineral deposits in the cooling system, so use distilled water when replacing the coolant or buy 50/50 mix. I used the mix last time and had no probs. with freezing, gets to well below zero here (-10/-15 is not uncommon).
Don't forget to replace your thermostat and check you hoses.

If your Jeep is a 1993 all you'll need is a T60 torx bit and the o-ring kit (p/n 4720363). Get the Torx adapter that has a removable insert because there is not a lot of room between the "frame" and the end of the oil filter adapter. Remove the oil filter. Using a wrench to hold the Torx insert (I used a ratcheting 13mm) break the torque on the bolt and remove the housing. You may have to use a cheater bar to break it loose. Once its off the o rings are easy to replace.

Oilfilter004a.jpg

Oilfilter005a.jpg

Oilfilter006a.jpg

Oilfilter003a.jpg

I take my Jeep to the Jiffy Lube type places to flush the radiator so I don't have to deal with the anti-freeze.

honestly if the radiator is old Id suggest replacing it the flush stuff works well in systems that arnt to bad but can cause more leaks and even worst clogs of the tubes in older ones. just my .02

drain the radiator and fill it with white vinegar and run it for a few days. If it is still cold where you are, let it get warm enough that it won't freeze overnight. After the vinegar works for a while flush good with clean water and refill with 50/50 mix.

Home Depot carries a fitting that will screw onto a garden hose and the other end will fit into a 3/4 inch heater hose. That is what I use to make sure everything is flushed good.

While doing the work, examine the heater control valve. On your model it is plastic and they will break. You can just take it out if you want and run straight hose from the engine to the heater core.

This will get you cooling system clean for less than $5 and a little work.

Gerr said:
honestly if the radiator is old Id suggest replacing it the flush stuff works well in systems that arnt to bad but can cause more leaks and even worst clogs of the tubes in older ones. just my .02

x2

i flushed mine out with an industrial strength calcium, lime and rust remover; my heater core was great but my rad looked like swiss cheese, i guess it was just the deposits holding that sucker together :)

Back