• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ electrical problem

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (not grand) XJ with a little electrical problems. I haven't done anything to it after market because it's my commuter to school. I recently put in a new radio (because the stock one sucked) so I could have a CD and iPod player. I put the new radio in and I noticed the front left speaker wasn't working and I'm not sure how long ago it went out. so I tried to get the door panel off but i can't because the rod for unlocking and the lever I can't take them off it's looks like they are riveted in place. I'm not sure about that though. If any of you know how to take the panel off that would be sweet! I'm trying to at least fix the stock speaker or I got some pioneers from a friend for FREE!!! Thanks in advance to any one.

Been there done this...
I have had the door panel off several times over the almost 11 years that I have owned my 98 XJ.
Remove screws in arm wrest, behind door opener handle, pop the plastic fasteners loose around the sides and bottom of door lift the door panel up and free of the window track.
As for the rods for the door opener; there are two whitish/yellow plastic pivot fasteners that you unsnap the clamp part off the rod and then slip the rod out of the hole in the fastener.... This might be hard to picture, but you will understand when looking at it....
DONT be too rough with the clamp when unsnapping or it may crack due to the age of the fastener....
As for the speaker not working.... This is a common problem on XJs...
The wires that go thru the loom between the door and the A pillar get stressed over time and the strands of wire snap...
I tried to locate the broken wire in the loom, but since there are quite a few wires in mine.... and the area inside of the loom is tight.... I ran a new speaker wire from the radio to the speaker.

Back