• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding Brakes on '93 with Antilock : Considerations?

mortskeg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone!

The vehicle is a stock '93 country

I'll start by saying sorry if this had been covered in detail already. If so, I've had a hard time searching for it (three letters in ABS) and would appreciate a link if someone remembers the thread. Anyhow, here's my situation:

A week ago I had my front right brake start dragging and heated up the whole deal. I managed to pull the wheel off, unlock the caliper, and get the thing home. After searching the NAXJA, I started with the cheapest solution- and regreased the caliper pins and slides. All was well for a bit but I had the brakes lock back up yesterday. I pulled the calipers, and slapped some rebuilt units on last night. I vacuum bled the front twice, and went on a test drive. The brakes are pretty good, but I think that the pedal can be a bit firmer. So today I will go buy some more brake fluid and do all four corners, starting with the RR, LR, RF, LF.

So- I guess my question is, are there any special considerations to be given when bleeding the system on a vehicle with ABS? Special procedures? I changed the front pads and vacuum bleed all four when I bought the jeep, and it has been working fine in that year and a half. Should simply bleeding all four corners firm up my pedal? (I do have the calipers installed right side up).

Also there was mention on bleeding by volume when using a vacuum bleeder. I didn't know if someone would know approx how much fluid they pull through to the right rear before calling it good. I like the idea of this, because when I vacuum bleed I always get bubbles the whole time (around the threads, etc)

Thanks in advance!

How did you depress the caliper pison when reinstalling the caliper the first time?

For non abs you can simply remove the resivoir cap and just push the piston in.

For abs though you must loosen the bleeder on the backside when pushing the piston in. Otherwise you can damage the ABS pump/system.....

Blaine-
Thanks for the heads up. I actually didn't need to press the piston in to get the caliper back on, but if I need to in the future, I'll know what to do.

Today I ended up bleeding all four corners, I think it's as good as I can expect. Forgot to mention in the first post that my ABS has been inop since I got the jeep. Cheers

Back