• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

died on me

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
So as im drivng my truck just died on me, and didnt wanna crank back up. Now it just clicks when i turn the key. Doesn't crank. I replaced the starter about a month ago and the wiring I haven't touched it. Any help?

"died" how?? any lights on the dash or is the whole thing dead? it might help with alot more info on your specific XJ..

Sounds like a wiring problem. Check all the grounds and make sure everything is clean.

When it dies does anything have power? If not, I usually check the wires by watching the light under the hood and wiggling everything til the light comes on. That at least gives you somewhere to start.

Well if the starter is clicking the possibility of a gunked up neutral safety switch can be thrown out.

The crankshaft position sensor is probably fine too. Although maybe not, if your starter connections go bad it shouldn't stall the vehicle.

Trace the wiring to/from the battery as well as the starter.

victor_s said:
So as im drivng my truck just died on me, and didnt wanna crank back up. Now it just clicks when i turn the key. Doesn't crank. I replaced the starter about a month ago and the wiring I haven't touched it. Any help?
year? engine? auto or stick?

Alright well ill play with the wires tomorrow but i still dont get why it stalled out on me. It didnt sputter and die, it just cut out. Oh and its an 89 Xj with a 95 Engine in it minus all the HO parts.

victor_s said:
Alright well ill play with the wires tomorrow but i still dont get why it stalled out on me. It didnt sputter and die, it just cut out. Oh and its an 89 Xj with a 95 Engine in it minus all the HO parts.
balast resistor?

IF you jump the resistor you will deliver full voltage instead of reduced voltage... This probably isnt a good idea since it will burnout what it is supplying...
You can check the resistor with the ignition switch to RUN....
Use a VOM multimeter and check both resistor terminals to ground and see if there is a difference in the voltage... The incoming voltage should be around 12.5V and the outgoing voltage depends upon the Ohms value of the resistor.

While the CPS will kill the engine when it goes bad...; should not stop the engine from cranking over... Test this by disconnecting and reconnecting the connector near the fuel rail behind the throttlebody.... IF the CPS is bad... the engine will run, but in default mode. Just well enough for you to drive somewhere to it repaired....

Check the battery cables for oxidation; if the cables are oxidized this will stop power transfer even when jumpstarting the car....

Back