• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unbolting front driveline

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
On my 90 mj ax 15 231j I can not get the front drive line off my old 231 I have always used a 8mm wrench but it is just stripping. Is it because i am using a walmart special, or what?

I believe that is a std. size. Do yourself and knuckles a favor pick up a set of quality wrenches (tighter tolerances)

I have used either one. Try some PB Blaster on the bolts and you may have to use heat and vise grips if they are rounded off bad.

I have only used a 6 point 5/16 on mine so I haven't stripped any yet, but you could try vise grips if you've already mutilated the heads.Or try going one size smaller wrench and hammer it on so it can't slip. You'll have to buy new bolts, but it sounds like you'll be doing that anyway.

it is on the transfercase side so there is no room for a hammer, they soaked in pb blaster over night vise grips slip off i may have to go to the cut off wheel. will vise grips have better luck gripping onto the threads?

if your vise grips are slipping:

a) theyre a crappy pair or
b) your not clamping them on tight enough.

Ive used vise grips MANY time to take off the DS bolts, Harbor Freight ones for that matter too.

If that dosent work, do you have a small impact (maybe an electric one) they work like a charm. and i always use an 8mm socket to get them off.

I don't have room to get a ratchet in there let alone my impact. it is one the transfercase side so I have the distance between the douple u-joint and a the t-case. line 1.5 inches if that.

Back