• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Budget Lift

HillsJeep05

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to put on a 2" budget lift on my 96 XJ Sport. I think I have narrowed it down the Teraflex's 2" Budget lift with spacers and rear shackles and, Rustys 2" budget lift. I have been told that for a 2" lift like this I will probably not need to lower my transfer case, but I am thinking about doing it anyway just incase I run into any vibrations down the road. Any advise on these lifts and or the install process for those of you who have done this before. just wondering because my worst enemy is the rust on my jeep.

I used the Rusty's rear shackles and front coil spacers to add 2" to my 3.5" Rubicon Express lift. My xj is from PA and i have definitely run into my fair share of broken bolts caused by rust. If you go with shackles in the rear, use caution removing the upper bolt on the stock shackles. These bolts tend to break often and you must cut into the uni-frame rail in order to drill it out. As far as the T-case drop, i don't think it will be necessary with only 2" of lift... it isnt worth sacrificing the ground clearance. Down the road i suggest doing an SYE if you choose to go bigger.

I bought the teraflex rear shackles but, instead of buying the kit with the front spacers I bought everything seperate and saved about thirty bucks. Energy Suspension makes 1.75" spacers for about $40 and you can get the shackles for around $60. I would suggest buying shackles with a brace welded into them, and invest in at least three cans of PB Blaster. You'll need to start spraying them about a week before you plan to tackle the rear.
Good luck!

YOu wont need to do your t-case till you are at 3 1/2 from what i have heard so you wont need to.

Wrong. Do your lift and then decide. I went 2" spacers up front and bastards in the rear for a total of 3" out back, and I get plenty of vibes. Not out of control like my shaft is gonna snap, but DEFINATELY noticeable. Seems like every jeep is different.

I got vibes with a 2" lift on a pre 97.

But I wouldn't install the drop until after the lift, you might not need it.

When I had a TJ (sorry I know this is an XJ site) I did a 2" BB lift and had some vibes. I added about 1/2" inch of spacers to the transfer to cut down on the vibes. Personally I want to add as little drop as possible otherwise your just taking away all the ground clearance you gained with the lift. I figure that a little driveline vibration is just one of those Jeep things we put up with to have a better off-road machine.

HillsJeep05 said:
Where do you guys buy PB blaser? I have heard about it but never seem to be able to find it.

I know for a fact that they have it at Kragen, but check around at your local part stores.

the vibe issues basically vary from vehicle to vehicle. it also seems to be that the newer XJ's seem to have more problems than the older ones. I have a '90, at 5" of lift, and only have minor vibes.

PB is the best i worked at a Machine shop and we used it !!!!
Heat and wax work to BUT NOT IN GAS TANK AREA !!!!!
This way is only really used on parts not near anything flammable !!!!!

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

This is the kit I'm currently installing in my '97. The rear shackles are nice and beefy, the 1/2" spacer is just a block of flat bar with a hole drilled in it, the spacers for the front are poly and fit up under the coil insulators. I just replaced all of the springs so the whole job took about 3 hours. Get the full kit with the bar pin eliminators if you have new shocks - it extends the mounting point so you can use your existing shocks without beating them up at full extension. One thing you will need is a cutoff wheel to cut the bar pins out of your existing shocks, and you'll have to pick up some bushings for the bar pin eliminators to make them work.

Can't tell you about wobble, just bought this one and have been working on it for about two months. Almost done.

If anyone has info on rear brake flex hoses it would be great. I bought one from a 1996 Dakota and it's way long. I may just move the bracket. That's what I did on the front.

Mark

I did a two inch lift on my XJ. Its also a "96. Thought I had vibes at 35 to 45 mph but they went away after a couple weeks. My advice: take the vehicle out on a variety of road conditions and monitor for any abnormal sounds/vibes at various speeds pre-lift and take notes. Then you have a basis for comparison post-lift. Without doing that, anything that you previously were able to completely ignore my cause you to chain smoke post-lift.:smoker:

Back