• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion on Rear End

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
My rear end is going out so I'm looking for a replacement. I have the 8.25 rear end but all I can found around the San Francisco Bay Area are D35's. It's a 97 2wd Sport. I know the 8.25 is much better but for a 2WD daily driver will a D35 work?

Yes it will work fine. Jeep put them in all XJ's (and Wranglers) for about 8 years, 4wd or not. You have no worries 2wd daily driver.

Leep said:
You specify that it is going out. What is going out on it ? If it is just bearings then replace them. Far less work to replace bearings than an entire rear axle.

Are you doing the swap or having a shop do it for you ?

Just my opinion.

Leep
There's a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the rear end. I had it up on jacks and the noise is deffinitely coming from the rear. I can't pin point it though. I have changed the bearings, the brakes were changed hardware and all and when I drained the fluid there was no metal shavings in the diff. I'm out of ideas and I don't want to have it just crap out on me one day. I will be doing the swap in my driveway. It's my first axle/rear end swap but it looks pretty straight forward.

I would see about getting a diagnosis/repair estimate at a shop first, personally. Probably cheaper, and certainly better than downgrading axles and possibly dealing with driveshaft issues.

If it's grinding and there is no metal shaving etc. inside your pumpkin it's not likely your gears.

Have you pulled your drums off to see if your brakes are rubbing?

That'd be my first look. If I could see it I'd know. Then I'd dig a bit deeper, towards the bearings

FWIW:My axle noise turned out to be a bad pinion bearing.The noise would go away if I took the DS out and drove on the front DS because the pinion wasn't being driven.....

ParadiseXJ said:
If it's grinding and there is no metal shaving etc. inside your pumpkin it's not likely your gears.

Have you pulled your drums off to see if your brakes are rubbing?

That'd be my first look. If I could see it I'd know. Then I'd dig a bit deeper, towards the bearings

The breaks were redone and they are properly adjusted. The bearings have also been changed.

outlander said:
FWIW:My axle noise turned out to be a bad pinion bearing.The noise would go away if I took the DS out and drove on the front DS because the pinion wasn't being driven.....

It's a 2WD. How would I check if the pinion bearing is bad?

First try to tighten the pinion nut...if it was loose that's what may have ate the bearing.
Then disconnect DS and try to wiggle the yoke,it should have 0 play(side to side)

You might also try putting the back on jack stands(be careful) and have some one accelerate to 5mph or so while you are under there(you do have good jackstands under there,and front wheels chocked right?)listening for the source.
A mechanics sthethoscope would probably be handy here because you can pinpoint different areas such as axle bearings,or pinion area.

As for my situation I had a dana 35 that started to make noise.Instead of going through all the trouble to try to fix it I simply swapped it out in favor of the stronger 8.25 that I got off ebay for $20.

Around here axles can be had in good shape for $85,hell I even found the infamous d-44 xj axle at a local yard for $90.I would just swap it out for an axle that has the same gear ratio that you have now.It will cost you more to have the axle fixed.

Last edited:
Check the exhaust isn't hitting the driveshaft. There is a shield behind the pinion yoke that can get bent and make horrid noises but no real damage done!

The D35 in my 2wd '87 MJ has almost 300,000 miles on it (the BA 10/5 was rebuilt by a Peugeot tech at 110,000) and even running 33" tires, towing all sorts of stuff (including several full size Jeeps for short distances) and it's still fine except a minor pinion seal weep (replaced it twice in 200,000 miles) I am NOT gentle on my rigs that have to work for a living! ;)

I would vote pinion bearing too. Try to listen to that part with the Jeep up on a lift running in gear. Use a stethoscope if you can get one or a long screwdriver if you can't .

Whether you need the strength or not, I just can't see "downgrading" if you're going to repair something. Either throw in another 8.25 from a 97+ XJ or for not much more, just pay a shop to pull the gears, put new bearings in, and check your pattern. Should be easy to setup the gears again using the same gearset and reusing the old shims, or at least the same thicknesses but new shims.

Back