• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Crank Crank Crank.....

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i got out to my jeep to go to work and i get in. Turn the key to the on position and let it sit while i messed with stereo and rolled my window down, then i went to start it and it would not turn over. It would just crank and crank. The battery and both terminals are brand new (less than 6 months). Plugs and wires are new. Now i've never had this happen to the jeep before, but i remember something about putting it in N and starting it that way if the NSS was bad. I put it in N and still crank crank crank crank. Now the cranks sound healthy, but im not exactly sure where im at with this. So any input on what it mostly sounds like would be great.

check to see if you are getting any fuel out of the fuel rail...maybe clogged line, filter, or pump. first turn your key to the on posistion and see if you hear the buzz of the pump. if you dont hear a buzz it will deff be the pump. but when mine went bad i heard the buzzing but it was just not pumping at all...

well see if your getting fuel and if not replace the filter then if thats not it replace the pump or disconnect the line from the pump to the filter turn the key to on and see if fuel comes out...

ok. I know its not the filter, i just had that replaced right at the beginning of this year. Is there anything else that comes to mind besides the fuel pump??? Im really hoping thats not what it is.

Crank Shaft Positioning Sensor or Cam Shaft Positioning Sensor. Thats is if you don't have spark. My CPS just up and died. Pulled it into the garage at night didn't start the next morning. See if you do in fact have spark from the coil wire then work from there.

there are so many things to try it took me a day to find out what was wrong wit mine and it ended up being the pump which wasn't that hard to do but i got the wrong O-ring with it and put the old one in took it to a shop and he was like WTF i said i dont know i gave him the new one and he was like wrong one mister i was mad but he had another layin around his shop that did the job. but it could be anything.

Yeah i was just reading a thread about a guy having a similar problem to mine and his turned out to be the CPS. Because my jeep has been running great and it drove great last night and then today it just wouldn't start. So A buddy of mine that usually looks at my jeep for me is going to look at it and see whats up. As far as timing...I have no idea. I've never messed with it nor do i even know how. So im trying to write all this stuff down, so i can throw it out at my buddy to see what he thinks.

Albino Krikit said:
there are so many things to try it took me a day to find out what was wrong wit mine and it ended up being the pump which wasn't that hard to do but i got the wrong O-ring with it and put the old one in took it to a shop and he was like WTF i said i dont know i gave him the new one and he was like wrong one mister i was mad but he had another layin around his shop that did the job. but it could be anything.
Now the pre 97's you don't have to drop the tank correct? to replace the pump if thats what it is?

Leep said:
replace the crank sensor. On the bellhousing on the driverside. Two bolts, kinda hard to get to but that is more than likly the problem.

If the fuelpump is dying it will atleast sputter to try to start.

Good luck
Yeah i think you are prolly right.

My vote is the CPS as well. And be lucky it died while it was parked...many are lucky enough to have theirs die while they're driving somewhere. I can only hope when the day comes, mine goes over night.

If it were the NSS, just as an FYI, it wouldn't crank at all in either Park or Neutral. If your NSS does start to go bad in the future, to buy some more time you can usually get away with wiggling the shifter around while trying to crank it, and if it's not too far gone most times it will start.

Back