• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Lock Actuator?

chilipepprflea

NAXJA Forum User
If my rear driver's side door will lock when the power lock button is pushed, but won't respond when the power unlock button is pushed, would the problem most likely be a bad power lock actuator?

If so, how much does a new one cost?

Thanks.

Probably... My drivers side, rear one acts up when opening. Doesn't always open when the weather is cold. It's works the majority of the time though....

New actuators are somewhat spendy (over $100), but can be found cheap on Ebay. Just keep your eyes open for them. I've replaced my front drivers side one already on my '98. Since then, I've been picking up replacments actuators for all my doors on Ebay, just waiting for the enivitable to happen. I even picked up a drivers side master control door/window switch assembly on EBay, just to have handy when the time comes.....

I have aftermarket actuators installed in my Jeep (since it didnt come with power locks), and they have a rod connected to them. When they were first installed, the rod would sometimes slip and get caught until the right mounting position was acquired.

Im not sure if factory door locks also use a similar system, but it "may not" be the actuator since it locks but does not unlock. Just something else to look into.

what would be the cause of doors not locking when u push the switch to lock the doors. i can hear the thud but i dont think its pushing the locks shut. im gonna try wd40 on em and see if that helps

jaxes88 said:
what would be the cause of doors not locking when u push the switch to lock the doors. i can hear the thud but i dont think its pushing the locks shut. im gonna try wd40 on em and see if that helps

did you take the door panel off and look? wd40 might help for a while, but you might need to grease the linkage and also check the voltage to the actuators. may jest need to clean up the wiring harness.

Remember, the "WD" in WD40, stands for "water displacement". The "40" stands for the "fortieth formula", or attempt to achieve the developer's goal for a water displacement formula. In other words, WD40 is not a lubricant, you need white lithium grease, or similar on your lock mechanism.

You need to check out the write up done on here by Greg Smith for fixing power door lock issues. I just put the fix in place two weeks ago and it works perfectly. Basically I spent 15 bucks to have every lock work and I almost started replacing actuators. Glad I did not go that route because it would not have fixed a thing. I even took the door panel off and lubed the locks and all moving parts but that did not do it either. The only thing that worked was his fix. Hope you get them working.

Ok, I tried to check the voltage going to the actuator as I read in Greg Smith's write-up, but I couldn't get an actual voltage reading. I was getting a negative reading. My voltmeter is analog and the needle just bottoms out. How can I make sure the actuator is getting the voltage it needs?

By the way, it appears that now neither power lock nor unlock works. Could it still be another problem besides the actuator?

chilipepprflea said:
Ok, I tried to check the voltage going to the actuator as I read in Greg Smith's write-up, but I couldn't get an actual voltage reading. I was getting a negative reading. My voltmeter is analog and the needle just bottoms out. How can I make sure the actuator is getting the voltage it needs?

By the way, it appears that now neither power lock nor unlock works. Could it still be another problem besides the actuator?
Reverse the leads on the voltmeter and you will read the proper voltage. I had the same problem as you, and it seems like a long shot, but the fix in Greg's write-up really, really reaaaaaally works! Do it first before anything else, you will be glad that you did. When I did mine I had already removed my actuator from the rear driver side door and was looking for a replacement when I found that write-up, now all work perfectly.

I got a used one from daveysjeep.com, about $40.

It would lock, but not unlock. I had to replace it because my wife was sure I did it on purpose because I didn't want her going with me anywhere. :D

If the actuator is trying to move take the interior door panel off and clean up your locks. Then regrease them. It may be a good idea to unplug the actuator before spraying them with brake cleaner. if it's not trying to move clean the connector's first. Then check for a signal when the unlock button is pushed.

muckleroy said:
I got a used one from daveysjeep.com, about $40.

It would lock, but not unlock. I had to replace it because my wife was sure I did it on purpose because I didn't want her going with me anywhere. :D

Actually, it's: http://www.daveysjeeps.com/ :patriot:

:cheers:

had this problem on a 89 xj yanked the door panels & made sure all the rods the work the locks were seated firmly in their "plastic clamp" and lubed it all workin good now

Was at the junk yard today for misc items and pulled a power lock actuator from a ZJ. They wanted $65 for it so I said nuts to that and left. Stopped at another junk yard and they wanted $5. Can't go wrong with that one.

Cleaned it up and swapped it with the old one...everything works. Power Locks/Unlocks without a glitch.

Back