• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

artsounds bored throtle body 97+, questions and comments.

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
Okay i just got done installing this throttle body onto my jeep, 4.0 2000 sport last night. It bolted up easy enough and got all the sensors on there and everything back together with the new supplied gasket. I start her up sounds good let it sit and then take it out. I was goosin it around my nieghborhood testing it. (definite throttle response increase got rid of that "dead spot" power loss from the 31s and 3.55s off the line).

Anyways on to my question, it whistles slightly, different piches at different rpms over 2300 or so. Is this normal or what? I wasnt expecting the whistling...

What is the recomended torque for the 4 bolts holding on the TB? could it be the gasket? could it just be the fact its a bored TB?

Anyone have any ideas? is there a break in period?

maybe the butterfly and the bore of the throttle body is slightly off letting a small amount of air in that's causing the whistling. That makes sense to me...

just my .02

it only whistles when your reving it at idle and up to 2300 its normal sounding...

Most bored TB's whistle. It is not the butterfly. You can try to radius any sharp corners inside the bore or just learn to enjoy the music. The TB to manifold torque is less than a spark plug, maybe 5-10 ft-lbs. You do not want to strip out any of those threads.

its smooth tho.. i dk if i can live with it...

Re: artsounds bored throtle body 97+, CEL

alright so go out to my jeep afterschool today and get a Check engine light....

ughhhh

reads as this "P0456" Evap Emisson Control System Leak "very small"

whats this meannn?? did i not get a good seal on the connectors to the throttle body??

Last edited:
:anon:

The opening and exit for the Idle Air Controller should be smoothed over, not sharp right angles. This is most common place for a whistle.

Check all the vacuum hoses, you might have knocked one loose or forgot to reinstall it when you did the TB swap.

nothings easy on this XJ i swear its cursed...

looks like im getting up early befor school and takin it off and getting rid of the edge..

what do you guys recomend for doing this? just sand paper? and make sure everything is disconnected and no "metal dust" into the intake :roflmao:

A small file may be the best. Sand paper will work, the cloth backed stuff is longer lasting. If you have an Exacto hobby razor knife you can use that as a scraper, the aluminum is really soft.

Reset the computer if you havent. Ground the battery leads together then turn the key on and the lights on while the battery leads are still touching. It may take a few trips for the computer to relearn stuff. May not fix your whistle but it needs to be done either way.

so i touch the black and red cables together and turn the key on?

Mtb Jak said:
so i touch the black and red cables together and turn the key on?
Right. But make sure your lights are on or you hit the break or horn to totaly discharge the system. It's on the great Go jeep site somplace. Here this will keep you busy for hours if you havent checked out this:http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Take your throttle body back off. Look inside the throttle body throat from underneath (bottom side) and you should see a very small drill hole that leads to a nipple port protruding to the outside. This nipple supplies vacuum to a sensor that is mounted ont he throttle body. Radius this hole with a light chamfer using a file or something that you can get in there. This should cure your whistle.

Mtb Jak said:
Check engine light
reads as this "P0456" Evap Emisson Control System Leak "very small"

It could be a hose is still loose - or the last fill up, you didn't click the gas cap - which seems to be 95% of the code on that one.

I just used a dremel very slightly on the bottom opening with mine. Sharp corners mess things up. I think the torque rating on the 10mm bolts is 16ft-lbs but i could be wrong.

Instead of an add-on throttle body spacer, just get your throttle body bored. Better yet, send your core to http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies40.asp

That's what I have on my 99, no whistle, easy hook-up, easy transaction, lots of open-throttle acceleration.

You can search fastman

Back