• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Protofab Rock Solid winch bumper..... real world use?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up one of these on CL for a pretty good deal - 2 months old, not a ding/dent:

xjfrntpwb03.jpg

I'm kinda concerned with how "hollow" it is behind the groovy styling. The tow hooks are simply bolted to the top plate of the bumper which is 3/16" at best. The winch mounts are kinda weak looking too.

Anyone bent/tweaked one of these using the winch or tow hooks as designed by Protofab? I'm thinking I may want to add some support/trusses around the hook mounting area and winch mount.

YELLAHEEP said:
I just picked up one of these on CL for a pretty good deal - 2 months old, not a ding/dent:

xjfrntpwb03.jpg

I'm kinda concerned with how "hollow" it is behind the groovy styling. The tow hooks are simply bolted to the top plate of the bumper which is 3/16" at best. The winch mounts are kinda weak looking too.

Anyone bent/tweaked one of these using the winch or tow hooks as designed by Protofab? I'm thinking I may want to add some support/trusses around the hook mounting area and winch mount.

running one for over 6 years and use it to push up and over obstacles, it is the best and stoutest bumper on the market. the bends give it unbelievable strength. and dont worry you wont bend or dent it.

I bought one in sept. and just sold it a month ago. While I had it it was awsome, I didn't have any problems with it at all! And the guy that I sold it to love the protofab to. (we both beat the crap out of it and it held up great!)

i have one of these and I had to be winched pretty hard up the rest of Clawhammer in JV due to a dead fuel pump. When I had to get up a steep incline / waterfall, I had two winches connected to my tow strap and the tow strap wrapped onto the tow hooks on top of the bumper. With all the force, the plate under the tow hooks bent up just a hair but its still perfectly fine.

I love my bumper

took a pretty good sized doe (whitetail) with mine at about 45mph.... the cops didnt believe i hit it.... they thought i had poached it...

Back