• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember ad Tranny Mount

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have a 91 4.0L HO Auto np231. I pulled the TC out today and stupid me forgot to check which way the crossmember and mount went on. Can someone tell me how the mount and cross member's go on? A simple "4 studs on tranny mount towards Pass or driver's side" or "slotted holes on crossmember towards pass or driver's side" will suffice. Pic's work too. I will be putting them back on first thing tomorrow afternoon, so I really need to know ASAP. Thanks.

I can't believe I got so many replies:wierd:

I figured out the best position for the tranny mount. I was looking at the cross member and I noticed a notch on one side. It looks like it is either to clear the exhaust or to clear the front drive shaft. I don't want to do this thing twice, so if someone could please check and tell me which side the notch goes on. If you could just check where the drive shaft and goes over the crossmember towards the front of the Jeep and where the the exhaust comes down from over the crossmember towards the rear and tell me where the notch is, I would be greatly appreciative.:D

The tranny mount offsets towards the drivers side to balance the offset weight of the T-case. After you get that then you will be able to see how the crossmember goes.

Hope that helps you out

If you look at the ends of the X-memeber, you will see that one end has a slotted hole on it. This goes to the PASS. side.

xjtrailrider said:
The tranny mount offsets towards the drivers side to balance the offset weight of the T-case. After you get that then you will be able to see how the crossmember goes.

Hope that helps you out

Are you sure, I thought it offset towards the passenger's side since the spot where it mounts is offset towards the driver's side. Thee pass offset of the mount putes the mounting studs back center of the tranny. I guess if it is in wrong, the crossmember won't go in. Thanks for the help.

ren said:
If you look at the ends of the X-memeber, you will see that one end has a slotted hole on it. This goes to the PASS. side.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Last time I had it out, I think I put in backwards casue my exhaust ratled on the crossmember. Now it won't:D

Back