• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque setting on rear pinion nut

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
would anyone happen to know the torque settting on the rear pinion nut? one of the little ears that retains the ujoint caps snapped off on mine. i have a new yoke but i dont know how tight to make it when i change it. its a 27 spline 8.25 if that matters.

thanks

I hate to be the barer of bad news.
Theres a whole procedure due to the pinion nut torque being responsible for the pinion bearing preload.
What should've happened is you should've marked the position of the nut on the pinion or checked the torque it took to turn the pinion before removing the nut so you could put it back to the same torque it was before (actually a couple in/lbs more). Im guessing you didnt do that???
I think now I would remove the wheels and brake drums and get the pinion nut within its torque range then set your pinion bearing preload to the high side of its spec.
Sorry I dont have the torque and specs in front of me right now.

Ray H said:
I hate to be the barer of bad news.
Theres a whole procedure due to the pinion nut torque being responsible for the pinion bearing preload.
What should've happened is you should've marked the position of the nut on the pinion or checked the torque it took to turn the pinion before removing the nut so you could put it back to the same torque it was before (actually a couple in/lbs more). Im guessing you didnt do that???
I think now I would remove the wheels and brake drums and get the pinion nut within its torque range then set your pinion bearing preload to the high side of its spec.
Sorry I dont have the torque and specs in front of me right now.

Pinion preload for the 8.25 is 6-8 inch lbs on used bearings. I hope this helps.

I concure, those are the correct torque values.
The FSM says to remove the wheels and brake drums to check the pinion preload torque prior to removing the nut. Then put the nut back on at the same preload torque.

i havent taken it off yet. thanks for the info guys. can i replace it without replacing the crush sleeve? i REALLY don't want to pull the whole rear end apart again.

how would i go about marking the position of the nut on the pinion?

Yep, no reason to replace the crush sleeve. The proper way to do it is to use a bar type in/lbs torque wrench and remove the wheels and drums, and take a torque reading of your pinion preload (should be in the niegborhood of 10-20 in/lbs) spin it a few times and take a couple readings to get an accurate one. That will give you a base reading to go by when you retoque the nut. When you install it, tighten it to 210ft/lbs and then check the preload. Keep tighening the nut until your preload is at least 10in/lbs but no more than 10in/lbs more than the base reading. Thats the right way to do it.
Your second option is to mark the location of the nut and when you replace it, tighten it to the exact same position.

Back