• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken set screw

wacho4

NAXJA Forum User
Alrihgt, I'm doing a disc brake conversion on a '96 XJ with the 8.25 rear.
The set screw the holds the crossbar in has broken off, I'm guessing there is 1/8 - 1/4 " left at the bottom. I tried to pound it out anyway, but that's not working well. There doesn't seem to be much room to get a drill bit in there.
Anybody else have this problem? What does everybody reccomend? It is on a lift at the Hydrualics shop I work at, so tools could be found if needed.

Installed a disc brake conversion on the 8.25 in my 98 about 7 years ago, but I am having a hard time picturing what you are describing.
Could you either describe in further detail or take a picture of what you are referring to....

Ahh.... OK....
Remove the bolt with a 8mm wrench (IIRC), then remove cross shaft so you can remove idler gears and push in the axles to remove the C clips.. and then pull the axles out.
IF you broke the pin with the hex head; you will have a problem removing it...
On some vehicles it is a roll pin that can be tapped out with a long drift punch.

MoparManiac said:
There's a little bolt that holds the cross-pin in in the carrier.
Yeah that bolt.
Took it out, but didn't realize it had broken off and left some behind. After some beating, took a closer look and found it. Tried some more pounding in hope that it would eventually give way, but thats not working. Gear puller pushing on it didn't either. It seems too tight to fit a drillbit and drill it out, ... maybe a real long one...

Sorry for not being completly clear, was very tired and frustrated.

Was hoping someone would have some geniously simple idea that I hadn't thought of

wacho4 said:
Yeah that bolt.
Took it out, but didn't realize it had broken off and left some behind. After some beating, took a closer look and found it. Tried some more pounding in hope that it would eventually give way, but thats not working. Gear puller pushing on it didn't either. It seems too tight to fit a drillbit and drill it out, ... maybe a real long one...

Sorry for not being completly clear, was very tired and frustrated.

Was hoping someone would have some geniously simple idea that I hadn't thought of

There is a solution, a guy I know run in to it a few years ago and took care of it. I just can't remember how he did it. I emailed him yesterday, so far no response.
Any solution I can think of will destroy the carrier which might not be a big deal because I don't think they are that hard to find or expensive. You might want to check with members, one is bound to have an extra one laying around.

falcon556 said:
Any solution I can think of will destroy the carrier which might not be a big deal because I don't think they are that hard to find or expensive. You might want to check with members, one is bound to have an extra one laying around.
OK I just said F it and used a drill bit on the bolt/screw. Cut a 1/4 " bit short and put it in the smallest angle die grinder we have in the shop. It wasn't straight and I screwed up the threads , but I think I can make it work. If not, I came to the same conclusion: If I screw it all up, I can surely buy one off a fellow NAXJA memberfor fairly cheap. We'll see how it goes when I start to put it back together

Back