• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Drop Brackets and Braces

Tommy4949 said:
I will be putting these in my Jeep tomorrow, does anyone have any tips to give me before I get started? The instructions are a bit vague. Thanks.

The is a 'dimple' in the surface of the back of the stock lower control arm mount that will prevent the RE brace from fitting flush, it should be ground off smooth with and angle grinder. At least there was on my 2001. And obviously you need to support the weight of the vehicle on jackstands and ensure that the axle doesn't move or rotate when you remove the control arms. That's about all I can think of.

do the drop brackets first, braces after.

Put *EVERY* bolt in before you tighten the first one, on the drop brackets. The last bolt will be a tight fit.

When you go to put the braces on, look at the back of your current LCA mount, and you will see a lip that hits the brace. Grind that off.

Its pretty strait forward, just make sure to get all the bolts in first. :)

send them back get your money back and buy a set from Rough Country. They are the same thing and a great deal less money!! I'm not bashing RE, I love my RE 3.5 inch super flex lift, Just saying that you could pay less money and have te same thing. Here is a pic of mine with the Rough Country DB's on it. The only difference is the brace does not go back as far as the RE one does.
100_3943.jpg

100_3942.jpg

Do everything they told you except for sending them back. Have the brace go all the way back is better for force distribution reasons. Plus if you live in the salt belt, the less holes in the body the better. Don't get me wrong, if you want the cheaper version, buy the RC brackets. But for me, the extra money is well spent on a better design was worth it. If you look at the geometry of the RC bracket compared to the RE brackets from the side and look at where the forces are applied, the RE brackets have a better design.

Semper Fi said:
send them back get your money back and buy a set from Rough Country. They are the same thing and a great deal less money!! I'm not bashing RE, I love my RE 3.5 inch super flex lift, Just saying that you could pay less money and have te same thing. Here is a pic of mine with the Rough Country DB's on it. The only difference is the brace does not go back as far as the RE one does.
100_3943.jpg

100_3942.jpg

I think you need different D-ring mounts... those will never hold up!!! :)

Semper Fi said:

I won't be sending them back. I can't believe that the RC kit is cheaper than brackets, braces and lower control arms for $100.

Thanks for the, uh... advice :yelclap:

My advice: buy a boatload of carbide drill bits and tap set for the crossmember bolts, which will likely break during removal. If you run into a lot of trouble, you can access the bolts from the top, through the driver/passenger side footwells.

Good luck with the install.

I ground off the dimple on mine, and I still have to use some washers to fill the gap between the brace and the lower arm mount. Is this normal?

Back