• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember Bolt

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have to drill out a broken bolt in my TC crossmember and tap it to 7/16" size bolt. I wasn't paying enough attention and the bolt is a little crooked. How much of a problem is this? Will it be OK like that? I'll be putting this back together in a couple days, so I would like to know if I have to retap it before I get it back together. Thanks.

shouldnt be a problem as long as the bolt is well secured/anchored and you can get the bolts through the hole in the crossmember and lined up with the thread hole.

I just did the same a couple months ago, only mine had a broken bolt already, and one snapped when taking it out...leaving me with no holes to bolt the crossmember on one side.

If I understand you correctly, you still have two bolts in on each side of the tranny crossmember, only one is in crooked.

I was only able to get one of the bolts out and retapped it to 7/16 like yours and covered the new bolt with loc-tite and tightened the heck out of it!

Mine has held up fine with just one bolt on one side of the x-member and two on the other.......knock on wood......:smoker:

I took all of mine and studded all of the crossmeber bolts, no more issuses. Nice nuts and washers now. They suck when they rust and or strip!

I had to do the same thing to my old 93, except I had a problem. Keep your eye on them when you are wheeling, I took mine up after doing this and I lost all the bolts while on the trail. Almost lost it all. Luckily I found two and was able to barely get it back togther with the help of a wire coat hanger and some trusty old duct tape. Then I limped all the way home and ended up cutting a slots out of the side of the "frame" rails to put nuts on the bolts to secure them back into place as all of the treads were stripped. But I doubt you will have any problems as I had two bolts that broke off. Good Luck.

Back