• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC Pintle Lenth

97xjcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I bought a new Idle Air Control Valve today. The new IAC says the pintle length from IAC base to pintle end should be no longer than 1 1/8in to avoid damage, I measured it at exactly 1in. My old IAC's pintle lengh is 1 1/4in.

Is this normal or is the old pintle that long an indication it is bad?

P.S. went ahead and put the new one in anyway to see what happened. When I started it up, the enine reved to about 2800RPM and gradually went down to normal idle. Thats normal though. And it runs normal, just wondering if long pintle length is a sign of an IAC going bad.

Thanks all!

:peace:

Not real familiar with the 97, but the pintle length recommendations (generic) are usually so the pintle doesn't stick out too far so the rod doesn't get bent or the gears damaged when the IAC is tightened into the mount.
The recommend 1 1/8" on yours was a safety factor, your old pintle was likely seated all the way in at 1 1/4", so there recommendation left you with a 1/8" safety factor.
Generic IAC's are usually deepth set at the factory to avoid damage, but chit happens, the pintle length recommendation is to help avoid guarantee problems.

8Mud said:
The recommend 1 1/8" on yours was a safety factor, your old pintle was likely seated all the way in at 1 1/4", so there recommendation left you with a 1/8" safety factor.
Generic IAC's are usually deepth set at the factory to avoid damage, but chit happens, the pintle length recommendation is to help avoid guarantee problems.11 Hours Ago 00:16

There, now I figured it out... THANKS a bunch 8Mud!

Back