• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Steering Stabilizer with 1" OTK Steering?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I need to mount up a steering stabilizer on my rig, I don't have one right now.
My OEM axle stabilizer mount is no longer there.

I have 1" OD knuckle to knuckle OTK tie rod and also a 1" drag link.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'd like to do DUAL stabilizers, but I don't want a shock hanging down low in the front below my tie rod to get crushed by rocks.

Looking for pics? Ideas? Any suggestions?

just use a ford style stabilizer bracket, u can get it from summit racing
ran-rs5542_w.jpg

Im planning on coming off my trackbar bracket(frame side),we made our own clamp!
crossover.jpg

stablizerbracket.jpg

I also made my own clam but it is easier to post a pic of one that is made by a company

If it's shimmying on you, find out what's not right, if it's handling fine then you don't need a stabilizer. Most of us don't use a stabilizer when we upgrade our steering. A stabilizer is there to fight a tendancy to death wobble in stock style steering design, and to provide some cushion if the OEM parts get slightly worn or out of adjustment. On a heavily used 4x4 rig, it could actually be a good thing to feel a little wobble without a stabilizer, then you can figure out what's causing it before it gets worse. The stabilizer just covers it up for awhile.

A stabilizer can cushion the steering some if you hit something real hard with the tire and jam the steering against the stops, but if you make sure the knuckles hit the stops slightly before the box bottoms out you'll have less chance of damaging something in that scenario. Of course, you need to keep your thumbs out of the inside of the wheel. :)

I mounted mine to the JKS OTA bracket.

DSC05633.jpg

I know others will disagree, but this was the only thing that would fix my death wobble. (After brand new balljoints, all new steering, etc...)

Back