• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow rig question

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
i know, i know, wrong place to post this, but i want answers from folks i know & trust.

so i have officially decided that the durango's just not gonna cut it as the best tow rig for the jeep. so my search for the perfect daily driver / family outing / camping / tow rig continues. i think i can get approx $6500.00 for the durango, so thats what i have to spend. i was looking at some late 90' (98-99) dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4's. they seem to be in my price range. a lil preliminary research tells me they'll tow the XJ, but barely. what other options do i have ? suggestions ? the flat bed i have is approx 2000# + the XJ 4500# = i need something that'll tug at least 7000# .

any help for the towing illiterate :wierd:

Rod,
There will likely be a big difference in the best tow rig for the job and the optimal vehicle for you in your price range.

The questions I think you need to ask yourself are:
How often are you going to tow it?
How far are you going to tow it?

The best tow vehicle is the heaviest, longest wheel base you can find (that obviously meets the tow rating).
I think your assumption should be closer to 7500lbs by the time the Jeep is loaded with spare parts, tie downs, tool box, etc on the trailer. I have towed my Jeep behind my Grand Cherokee on several occasions and it does very well and I don't have any concern doing it the handful of time I would do it per year. If I were towing it further and more often I think it would be safer to use a bigger vehicle. Our old 1/2 ton Suburban pulled the trailer better than the Grand only because of the extra wheel base and weight, it does make a big difference. With our new Excursion you barely know the trailer is there.

Something else to consider, If you are going to be towing a trailer, And loaded with cargo, make sure the rating of both are considered.

HTH,
Michael

redjeep3 said:
i like Chevrolet good trucks, get a 4 door or a ex.cab
That's generic and useless, but thanks for posting.

Rod, I would look at something older but with a strong drivetrain. Early 90's Ford 7.3 or Ram Cummins would be considerations for me. For your situation though, if you could find a '96+ 6.5 Liter Vortec TD Suburban you'd be made in the shade.

Any way you slice it, a 1/2 ton gas combo is going to be a bitch. Aim for a diesel, and if you fall short, do so on a '97-'99 Suburban 1500. Unfortunately your $6500 budget doesn't leave a whole lot of options...except for the obvious used Durangos or Expeditions.

-----Matt-----

I have towed my jeep (close to 7000lbs) several times with my 1997 ZJ with the 318 V8 under the hood. I used a class IV hitch with load levelling and anti sway devices. It pulled passes just fine (at 4K RPM) but curvy mountain roads kicked its ass. It did it's job but was not the best or safest. I kept it under 60MPH and did not tailgate. There was one time when I had to do a panic stop and I swear it pulled the front wheels of the ZJ off the ground for a bit.

For what it was, it did fine. Another friend of mine tows his jeep and trailer (close to 6500lbs) with his 360 powered durango and he does fine as well. It's longer and heavier and roomier.

With either of those options the tranny is the weak link (and the Dana 44A in the ZJ). Tow with the overdrive off so you don't fry the trans and get a huge cooler for it. We both got around 13MPG towing our respective loads.

An older (mid 90's) burb can be found with a big burly V8. Those are nice rigs but they only come with a 10bolt rearend in the 1/2 ton models. Hip on the NWW BBS has crapped 2 10 bolt rearends towing his jeep. He just put a 14bolt rear end in the truck and called it a day. But his Burb is ROOMY. You can fit the family in there, and sleep in the back if you want to.

When I was looking, the older cummins powered dodges can be found, but my wife wanted a true crew cab (4 actual doors, no suicide doors). So that ruled out my options with the dodge.

Ford and GMC/Chevy have true crew cab trucks in that price range. Gasser motors is what I would go with. Ford had the 5.0 or the 351W. Thier diesel 7.3 is nice but it is HEAVY. The GM 6.2 and 6.5L diesels are TURDS, so I would go with a 350 or 454 bb. Some rare trucks had the 513ci V8. But in the BB combos you are only going to be getting between 7 to 10MPG towing.

It's a personal debate for lots of folks. You can tow with a 1/4 ton suv (ZJ or Durnango will do OKAY, but I would only tow with something like that on occasion). Not have the primary purpose of the rig be a tow vehicle.

In your price range, I'd look for a 3/4 ton Burb with a 350 in it. Nice riding, roomy, good gas mileage. And it will yank the smurf biscuits out of a 7K load.

HTH

Although I hate to, I have to agree with Matt (ha ha). They are the ugliest thing on the earth, but the early generation Dodge trucks can really do the job. 92 was 1st year of the turbo. I had one with almost 300K on it & it would pull car trailer with full sive suburban, camping gear & family at the speed limits. I would steer clear of the early Ford & Chev diesels. BUT this is just an opinion.:moon:

I have a '96 Chevy half ton I use. It's got the 350 with this & that. The stock Vortec 350 (which is all the rage somehow) produces 255 HP stock. Yes, 255. Definately not recommended! It'll work, probably better than the ZJ or WJ, but not if it's only purpose is to tow. If you are looking at a Chevy truck still, the 3rd door option started in '97. Definitely go that route! PITA with kids or extra people without that 3rd door.

Matt had it good with avoid a 1/2 ton.

Again, if you do go with a Chevy 1/2 ton, I have an extra 14 bolt rear with the 6 lug axles and 4.10s if you need it.

Do you really need a tow rig? :D

Seriously though you should be able to find a good buy on something if you shop around.

I could see you in Suburban. Well-rounded daily driver, family outing, tow rig. 3/4 ton, which means it would probably hold up to towing your pig.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/623565431.html

... or one with a big block and dubs!
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/618664858.html

... or if your set on a truck, look for something like this.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/625514651.html

Is 4wd a requirement?

mojojojo said:
so i have officially decided that the durango's just not gonna cut it as the best tow rig for the jeep.

Are you gonna get offended if I say I told you so?

mojojojo said:
so my search for the perfect daily driver / family outing / camping / tow rig continues. i think i can get approx $6500.00 for the durango, so thats what i have to spend. i was looking at some late 90' (98-99) dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4's. they seem to be in my price range. a lil preliminary research tells me they'll tow the XJ, but barely. what other options do i have ? suggestions ? the flat bed i have is approx 2000# + the XJ 4500# = i need something that'll tug at least 7000# .

any help for the towing illiterate :wierd:

My first answer to you would be diesel. My bro-in-law towed his nicely with a single cab longbox 94 Ram 2500 diesel. Was a great truck.

On another note, my buddy has an 06 Crewcab longbox chevy with the 6 liter gas motor in it, and it tows great.

I don't know anything about them, but theirs always the Ford Expedition/Excursion ideas too.

General concensus, you're gonna need something 3/4 ton at least I'd think

Oh and PS - Payday tomorrow and I think we have them in stock so I'll grab your other tube doors. Unless you want to hold out and get the ones that wont require changing that striker pin (we're developing new door handles, shhh)

thanks for all the responses guys. i have a pretty good idea what i'm looking for now. my buddy works at a car dealership and has a connection with a cpl auctions, so i'm sending him shopping next week sometime. i'll keep ya'll posted.........

Rod,
This will tow what ever you wheel with and you can eventually put a camper on it and haul the kids in the back seat too. 2wd but hey for that price you can still make it to camp if you don't mind a dually... It is the most stable safest tow rig type you could put the kids in.
Not a whole bunch of power but the early cummins will do the job as needed that's for sure. Just have it checked out whatever you buy.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/626960253.html

I own a 97 Dodge Club Cab 2500 4x4 12V Cummins myself.

Last edited:
Outdoors said:
Rod,
This will tow what ever you wheel with and you can eventually put a camper on it and haul the kids in the back seat too. 2wd but hey for that price you can still make it to camp if you don't mind a dually... It is the most stable safest tow rig type you could put the kids in.
Not a whole bunch of power but the early cummins will do the job as needed that's for sure. Just have it checked out whatever you buy.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/626960253.html

I own a 97 Dodge Club Cab 2500 4x4 12V Cummins myself.

There's alot of Free power to be had with 1st Gen 12V and the 2nd Gen 12V; If you're looking for a tow rig, in this price range, this'd definitely do it!!!plus haul the camper!!!

1994-04 Ford F250/350, 7.3L PSD, turbo, crew cab.

My dad has a 1993 F250 XLT ext cab with a N/A 7.3L, and with the truck loaded with a camper with 20 gallons of water, two full tanks of fuel, it weighed in at around ~9000 lbs. Add another ~1500 lbs of our boat, and you get a total weight of about 10,500 lbs. It did fine.

Mind you, we were limited to around 55 - 60 mph on the highway, but it still did fine. With the turbo diesel, It'll pull better.

Back