• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Future XJ help

strikedistance

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to get an 87 Cherokee and it needs some work. I was just wondering if there was anyone local that would be willing to help me out when/if I get it. I probably will I just wanted to ask around first. All the help would be greatly appreciated. I'm soon to be 17 and this will be my first Truck that is truly mine. I just want to know that I will be able to fix this thing up. Here what needs to be done.
- Main seal on the engine leaks
- I would like to put new gears in (Will get them later obviously)
- AC needs to be hooked up/ OBA (either or)
- Gas gage has issues lol
- Couple other minor things
I’m not new to off-roading but this will be my first Jeep. Would love to get into the club and meet some new people.
Thanks for the help.

I also need to paint some gas cans and a hi-lift does anyone have a sprayer that they would mind helping me out with that.
Thanks so much,
Bruce

Hey Bruce,

Welcome to the Jeep world.. We really don't call them trucks though.. Technically, a Cherokee is a XJ. We call them "Station Wagons" "Grocery Getter" "Mall Crawlers" ;)

Re-gearing should be done by someone who knows how to do them.. It takes some skill. It looks like everything else can be done in a garage. I encourage you to come out next time there's a wrenching party. It's a perfect time to meet XJ'ers and learn the ins-and-outs of a Jeep; you can ask questions, wrench and learn. Come out to a Meet & Greet if you can.

I would say to offer "Beer & Pizza" to get people to help.. BUT, you are a few years shy of buying beer. So, offering up Beer & Sodas would entice people to come out to a wrenching part...

E

EliasJ123 said:
I would say to offer "Beer & Pizza" to get people to help.. BUT, you are a few years shy of buying beer. So, offering up Beer & Sodas would entice people to come out to a wrenching part...

E
:eek:

:cheers:

strikedistance said:
I am looking to get an 87 Cherokee and it needs some work. I was just wondering if there was anyone local that would be willing to help me out when/if I get it. I probably will I just wanted to ask around first. All the help would be greatly appreciated. I'm soon to be 17 and this will be my first Truck that is truly mine. I just want to know that I will be able to fix this thing up. Here what needs to be done.
- Main seal on the engine leaks
- I would like to put new gears in (Will get them later obviously)
- AC needs to be hooked up/ OBA (either or)
- Gas gage has issues lol
- Couple other minor things
I’m not new to off-roading but this will be my first Jeep. Would love to get into the club and meet some new people.
Thanks for the help.

I also need to paint some gas cans and a hi-lift does anyone have a sprayer that they would mind helping me out with that.
Thanks so much,
Bruce

87 huh? That's generally a pretty sucky year, especially if has a 2.8L V6. At least that's what most people say. The 4.0L I6 much better. especially in the 92+ HO flavor. I know your're young, just saying if you can find anything better, I would.

mikedashg said:
87 huh? That's generally a pretty sucky year, especially if has a 2.8L V6. At least that's what most people say. The 4.0L I6 much better. especially in the 92+ HO flavor. I know your're young, just saying if you can find anything better, I would.
I think the POS 2.8 only lasted til '86. 91+ HO.:anon:

OK just to let you all know. Here's the specs. Its craigs old Jeep.
Power Locks Power Windows
4.0L w/ 5 Spd Ax-15 w/ NV 231 Transfer Case
Front Hp Dana 30- open diff- stock gears
Rear Dana 44- open diff- stock gears
Rubicon Express 7.5" XLA ( Extreme Duty Long Arm ) Lift
33" Mud Terrain Tires Mounted on Black Rock Crawlers including spare(worn)
Tom Woods Rear Drive Shaft
Advance Adapters SYE ( Slip yoke eliminator )
AC system converted to an air compressor ( tank needs Install )
Currie Heavy Duty Steering
Custom front and Rear bumpers
Custom Rock Sliders ( needs Mods to be reinstalled )
Rusty's 6" Bulge Fiberglass Fenders w/ Rear cutout flares
Holley flowtech muffler
Rockford Fosgate 12" Subs w/ Amp
Rockford Fosgate 6" Mids
Pioneer Stereo/CD/XM Ready

sounds like it will be a fun project

strikedistance said:
OK just to let you all know. Here's the specs. Its craigs old Jeep.
Power Locks Power Windows
4.0L w/ 5 Spd Ax-15 w/ NV 231 Transfer Case
Front Hp Dana 30- open diff- stock gears
Rear Dana 44- open diff- stock gears
Rubicon Express 7.5" XLA ( Extreme Duty Long Arm ) Lift
33" Mud Terrain Tires Mounted on Black Rock Crawlers including spare(worn)
Tom Woods Rear Drive Shaft
Advance Adapters SYE ( Slip yoke eliminator )
AC system converted to an air compressor ( tank needs Install )
Currie Heavy Duty Steering
Custom front and Rear bumpers
Custom Rock Sliders ( needs Mods to be reinstalled )
Rusty's 6" Bulge Fiberglass Fenders w/ Rear cutout flares
Holley flowtech muffler
Rockford Fosgate 12" Subs w/ Amp
Rockford Fosgate 6" Mids
Pioneer Stereo/CD/XM Ready

Gears and you are good to go. Well then there is the cage. Then again added XO to the cage. Then some bling. Maybe a CB, roof rack and lights.

Sounds like fun.

Post up when you need wrenching help, I am sure that plenty would offer.

Back