• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New OME Shocks for HD springs and shackles

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be installing in a few weeks (once the wather gets better) some New HD rear leaf springs from Quadratec and the Taraflex 1.5" shackle and spacer lift. I am concerned about new shocks, I am looking at OME because I hear they give you the best ride and every one would have them if they were 1/2 the price.

I have the stock shocks on the 1995 Jeep 4x4 XJ with close to 150K miles. so they are in need to replacement anyway. I may go with a 3.5 full leaf packs or AAL in a year or so, so with spending close to $350 on just shocks I wanted to know if there was a length that would work for both setups (if i ever go the extra lift)

Talking with Quadratec they said part #
16091.036L - For the back
16091.035 - For the Front

I will not be doing any major flexing at this point in the game (still yet to go off road (got a Moab Trip planed for may))

Some one told me that they have a 3.5" lift and they need some good bumpstops to keep the Long OME shocks from bottoming out. Does any one else have this problem?

The HD springs settle to 1" (from what I hear) and the Shackles will add 1.5" so I am looking at 2.5" lift in the back and 1.5" in the front (may get new front springs to get rid of any excessive rake)

What OME shocks would you recomend?

Thanks every one for any help

If you get 35L and 36L OME's they will be good for the 3.5" that you are wanting in the future. It looks like Quadratech only has you down for the 36L's and not the 35L's.

How much you want to spend on shocks? If you talking $350, I would say go ahead and save up and spend $500 on Bilstein 5100s. They run around $130 each and they make em for a 4" lift XJ. But you will be ok using them with say 2.5" lift until you go bigger.

But Bilsteins are great shocks and super tough. At Grey Rock last year a friend with a Rockwelled YJ bounced and jumped a few times on an obstacle. The Bilstein held up fine and the weld broke on the mount. I have seen these beat on like that before and they last, when other cheaper shocks will bend or bust.

slipslap said:
How much you want to spend on shocks? If you talking $350, I would say go ahead and save up and spend $500 on Bilstein 5100s. They run around $130 each and they make em for a 4" lift XJ. But you will be ok using them with say 2.5" lift until you go bigger.

But Bilsteins are great shocks and super tough. At Grey Rock last year a friend with a Rockwelled YJ bounced and jumped a few times on an obstacle. The Bilstein held up fine and the weld broke on the mount. I have seen these beat on like that before and they last, when other cheaper shocks will bend or bust.

Bilstein 5150's are 100$
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=224

what length should I get if I go with the Bilstein 5150's ?
they have 8", 10" and 12"...

will i need a BPE for the fronts?
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbarpin.html
do I drill the holes and put nuts and bolts through it? or how do they mount?

what size whould I get if I am only going for a 1.5" in the front and the BPE add 1.25" of length to the shock?

I just want to make sure that I wont bottom out the Long shocks and have to stick 8" bump stops on.

Are the Shocks from Quadratec the "soft" valve or the "Firm" valve?

I think I am going OME, the Bilstein add $200 more then what I am already spending more on the OME then I wanted to.

I just want to make sure that I wont bottom out the Long shocks and have to stick 8" bump stops on.

Are the Shocks from Quadratec the "soft" valve or the "Firm" valve?

I think I am going OME, the Bilstein add $200 more then what I am already spending more on the OME then I wanted to. but I am really wanting a good soft ride for me and my wife (since its her daily driver).

Back