• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 front axle

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
what vehicles can i get a d44 front axle from, that i can use the tnt customs truss? one without cast. or is there a cheaper way to get a d44 front?​

Clean-RC said:
73-76 ford F100 trucks High pinion 44 with welded on Wedges. Have it narrowed to use later Waggy inner shafts..

sounds expensive.

i know the waggys have 6 lug but do they have a 5 lug?

nope. good lick trying to find one, ive been looking for 2 years and the ones i can find are bent housings or like $800 and up

i dont mind 6 lugs, that would mean its a full width axle right? and i'd need wheels that have alot of back spacing?

hummer rims have 8" bs... if it helps.

Smittty9785 said:
nope. good lick trying to find one, ive been looking for 2 years and the ones i can find are bent housings or like $800 and up

I have two sitting in a shed at my dad's in Wa... Also there is one right now in the local junk yard with drum brakes...

userbmx1315 said:
sounds expensive.

i know the waggys have 6 lug but do they have a 5 lug?

VERY spensive bout 1k if you do all the work yourself and use OEM parts crap the tnt axle kit is 400 alone plus gears, locker , axles new brakes ect..

mine ended up costing bout 1500 cause I got the axle for 150

waggys are low pinion yuk!!!!

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/axletech/154_0706_junkyard_dana_44_axle/index.html

I followed this to a T. Everything except I used Ford F-150 knuckles out for 5x5.5 lug pattern. Note the price for parts and such. It's not cheap, but I've done it and I recomend it to anyone that wants a real 44 and not a Rubicon 44.

My dad did the same after mine but with Dodge flat top knuckles out for 5x4.5 lug pattern and flat tops too.

We both run 4.56's and Detroits. The ability to lock and unlock the hubs is pretty cool as long as you aren't too lazy.

Note with dodge stuff you can keep your old wheels, which should save you some cash.

there is nothing cheap about a front 44...

here is a quote from another post I made...

XJ_ranger said:
to throw some real numbers in here - I wasnt just talking about the cost of what I am actually running, but I was talking about the cost of everything to get the axle in the vehicle, all the stock shafts I broke, all the stock U-joints I broke, the pairs of ball joints ive put in, wheel bearings, calipers, and all my spares...

suff Im currently using that is part of or welded to the Front Axle
junkyard housing:175
R+P (5.13, yukon): 125
master install kit (yukon): 100
new pinion yoke: $75
new yoke straps: 20
Detroit: 600
Wanr Premiums (2 sets, 1 as a spare set): 200
2 CTM's: $400
Superior 4130 Outers: $250
Warn Inners: $400
Small Super Flex Joint: $40
Dedenbear outer knuckles: $500
Parts Mike Parts High Steer Arms: $200
Misc steel for brackets (on the axle): $70
Calipers - $100
Pads - $30
Rotors - $100
Wheel Bearings - $75 (timken w/ national seals - both sides)
Brake lines: $40
Ball joints: $100 (I had PMP install them in my knuckles before they shipped em)
Jeepers and Creepers Diff guard - $70
New custom front drive shaft from Jess at HAD - $290

Total above - $3960 :eek:

Stuff I ran in previous revisons:
Yukon Alloys (2 inners, 2 outers): $450
JKS Trackbar bracket - $50
JKS OEM UCA Bushing Cradle (2x) - $50
OEM UCA Bushings (2x) - $50
Stock Spicer Stub shafts (one of the ones that came with my axle was fubar) - $50
3 sets of stock junkyard shafts from the pirate 4x4 classifieds - $300
Brand new u-joints for every shaft I've ever run - 11 Spicer 760's @35/per - $385
couple different sets of pinion yoke u-bolts - $30
Stock open carrier (3.55 and numerically higher) - $50

total above - $1415 :eek:

Shit I've had to buy:
Axle straigtening (my junkyard housing was bent, I blew thru like 6 shafts the same way, at the splines on the inner) $250
CTM Rebuild Kit (when I put the warn inners in, I destroyed like 4 CTM caps removing them from the Yukons) - $90
Spare spindle - $75
Spare brake rotor / outer hub - $70

another $485

grand total of parts - just off the top of my head - $6200... :eek::eek:

Can it be done cheaper? sure...
But im the kinda guy that buys parts to go wheeling... I generally don't ask EVERY vendor on pirate to low ball all the other ones - I just buy from company's that have treated me right in the past...
Parts Mike Parts - Great company, knowledgeable, ships quick, great to deal with...
Performance Off Road center - ill never buy from them again... (unless I am in Georgia and can physically walk out with the part and not deal with their shipping dept...)

The fact of the matter is - there are some things that we all (as backyard, bend steel with a torch and hammer, $100 welder, booty fab kings) wont get right the first time... and you will have to re-do them... and you cant neglect this cost...
also with a 44, you have to carry spares... I carry the Yukon's as spares now after waranteing 3 of the 4 shafts...
I carry a spare set of hubs...
My tow rig carries the spare spindle and hub shell assembly - because blowing a stub shaft will take out the spindle and the wheel bearings, and the outer hub...

you can probably make a 609 for cheaper now - and not carry (more importiantly - not have to BUY) the spares - have a lighter rig, with cooler bling factor, and more clearance... (my shaved 9 has more diff clearance than the HP 44)...

I think it might honestly be cheaper to buy like the dynatrac axles or something. holy crap thats expensive if you dont do your own work and dont have a connection to parts.

alloy shafts and a a truss for the 30 along with a locker can be had for alot less than 2600, although id feel bway better about a built 44 myself, but if you dont have 2600...

Back