• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

charging problem

XJhabitat

NAXJA Forum User
the other day i checked my battery with the car off and it was giving off about 12 then with the jeep running it gave off 11.5 and it just kept losing power from there. i cleaned all grounds and the terminals and still kept losing power. i figured the alternator died so i got a new one put it in. got a jump and started it and its just doing the same thing.

the jeep ran fine till the battery died so before i go buy a new battery i wanna see if anyone knows of anything else i can check first

now i know the alternator wasn't the problem i searched the site and turns out i have the same symptoms as a blown fusible link wire. took the cable that goes from the alternator to the post on the PDC which im assuming is the fusible link and ran a current through it. that checks out fine. so im really lost. i have to drive across country next week so any help is appreciated.

What year is your Jeep, a 98 like your signature says?

IIRC the 98's use a regulator that is integrated into the CPU. I could be wrong, but its possible that its the cause.

Remember when checking alternators, its the amount of current you want to check, not the voltage. Voltage means nothing.

I guess its also possible that you bought a bad alternator if you purchased a reman unit, or of course your actual problem is the battery which is more likely in all the above scenarios.

Hope that helps.

yeah its a 98 and the battery is about 6 months old. maybe i can have a shop run a test on it or something. it definitely picked a bad time to start giving me shit

Most parts store do it for free. Test batteries anyway.

Even though an alternator is REBUILT; it does not mean that it will work properly....
The quality of the rebuild is dependant on the company that does the work and how good their quality assurance is...

Back