• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean green alt for a 98 XJ

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I looked at Mean Green's website, and they don't have an alternator for a 1998 4.0 L XJ... So how hard would it be to finagle either a 1999-2001 or a 1987-1990 alternator on here?

XJ98Jeep said:
I looked at Mean Green's website, and they don't have an alternator for a 1998 4.0 L XJ... So how hard would it be to finagle either a 1999-2001 or a 1987-1990 alternator on here?
I don't know why the 1999-2001 wouldn't bolt right on. In your application though, I would stay away from the 1987-1990 style; a lot of things are very different with those.

XJ98Jeep said:

1987-1990 will not work - AMC used a Delco CS130 internally-regulated alternator. ChryCo used their externally-regulated Nippondenso with the regulator circuit inbuilt into the PCM. If you bypass that circuit, you'll get a persistent CEL/MIL.

I don't see any reason why you can't make the ND unit from a year later work. I'd have to check the pix section of my catalogue to see if there's any gross difference, but I do believe that the mounting is the same (I'm not 100% certain, but I'm reasonably certain.)

If you go with an auxiliary alternator, I'd probably do a CS130 "one-wire" - the second alternator will require a regulator, as the PCM can't control two at once. If you want them to match, use the Nippondenso with an auxiliary external regulator (like the Prestolite marine regulator.) As long as the OEM regulator circuit is picking up the fact that it's doing something (the OEM alternator,) you'll be fine.

N.B. You'll want to make sure to upgrade your mains and fuse protection if you uprate your alternator, so you can take full advantage of it. Otherwise, if you swing to full output for any length of time, you're either going to blow your fuses/fusible link or just melt down the alternator output lead.

Use a 1998 Dodge Durango Alternator grind the bracket and put it in... I did it and it works great for a lot less. 140AMP output if you know how to use a grinder...

Use a 1998 Dodge Durango Alternator grind the bracket and put it in... I did it and it works great for a lot less. 140AMP output if you know how to use a grinder...
====================================
X2

badron said:
if you know how to use a grinder...

x2

I had to grind about 1/2 inch x 6 inches of metal off my bracket to make the MG work. But it is an awesome alternator. I have a 96' - dunno if they changed the bracketry later on.

Back