• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! '89 4.0 XJ won't run.

beater_xj

NAXJA Forum User
While I was out driving today my jeep all of a sudden lost power when pulling away from a stop. It will idle fine but just stutters and spits when I give it any gas. It won't go over 5mph. I'm thinking it's a fuel problem but this thing is a real heap so it could be anything. I bought it for dirt cheap and the previous owner said it sat for a couple of months. I put gas in it before driving home but it sat for about a month or more at my place. I've been driving it with out many issues aside from an occasional hiccup or stutter while accelerating. Today the gas gauge was real low and I thought maybe it was just off and I was running on fumes. Luckily I was close to a gas station and I just limped it there. After fueling up it still did the same thing. I'm thinking clogged fuel filter or maybe a bad pump. Is there anything else I should look for before hitting these items?

Thanks for any help,
Brandon

to me it sounds like clogged something or maybe it could be the pump is slowly dieing check to see if you have fuel.

Sorry, I should know, but what's a CPS?

I haven't done any engine work since I bought. I had to replace the slave and master cylinder to make it drivable but that's all I've done.

crank position sensor

don't worry about exactly how much pressure, it's like a tire valve, just depress the center real quick and make sure you get a healthy squirt of gas .. catch any spray with a rag :)

i'm guessing tank rust from sitting .. swap out the fuel filter

beater_xj said:
I don't have a gauge but if I can get my hands on one what kind of pressure am I looking for?

30psi w/vacuum hose attached to regulator-- 39psi w/out hose attached.

do NOT use the Haynes book to double check this info, however, as they have the info listed backwards.

Shorty said:
do NOT use the Haynes book to double check this info, however, as they have the info listed backwards.

x2,
i got confused when i checked the info in my haynes because of this

Well......it's doing it again. :( It was running great after replacing the filter, I drove it home this morning and was driving it all day before it started doing the same thing again. Maybe there was enough crud to clog the new filter as well, who knows. However, I think once I get it home again I am going to bite the bullet and do an overhaul including: head gasket, new valve cover seal, plugs, wires, rotor and cap, coil, belt, another fuel filter and anything else you guys/gals might suggest. I may even freshen up the head with a valve job and new seals. And speaking of the head, is there anyway to convert everything to the H.O. setup? And what about doing away with all the screwy EGR crap?

Thanks,
Brandon

Check the fuel filter you just put on. If it is crudded up your best bet would be drop the tank, clean it out real good & reinstall. If that is your problem, all the other stuff you want to do is good but will not solve the problem of a crudded up gas tank.

I know all about a crudded up fuel tank. Been there done that have the t-shirt.

Well that sounds like a lot of fun! :roflmao: What's best to clean it with? Oh yeah, and how do I check the filter, just cut it open or something?

Last edited:
After you check the fuel filter, pull the fuel pump and check the screen filter. If you have a bunch of junk in the tank you should see some on the screen too.

Since you just filled up, I'm sure you will have to drop the tank.:(

I forgot what exactly I used. But I will not forget the hassle involved. I swore that if it ever happened to me again I would just buy a NEW replacement fuel tank and be done with the problem.

take the tank to a rad shop and have them 'boil' it out .. comes back completely stripped clean .. then por15 make a tank sealer product that will make your fuel tank outlive the world's fuel supply

Back