• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone else's XJ sound supercharged?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
When my jeep's warmed up, in the upper rpm range there's this whining sound that sounds EXACTLY like a supercharger. It follows engine speed. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the ignition pick-up (mine's a 2000 so I have coil-packs and no distributor). It runs great except for this stutter/hesitation issue I mentioned here. So my question is, should I be worried or do you think that they're related?

Probably a bearing. I know when my A/C was making noise it sounded absoultely awesome!

I think it was the clutch bearings as the sound quieted down when the A/C was turned on (and the clutch locked up)

Although I suppose it could have been the pully bearings too. Who knows, it's still lying there in the garage. IF anybody wants a "supercharger emulator" let me know! :)

do you have a cold air induction or throttle body spacer? when i installed my throttle body spacer(it was free so i figured why not) it started making the same noise you are describing.

It's definately not the fan clutch cause I can definately hear when the fan's moving. The problem is, I need somebody ridin in my engine bay while I'm drivin so they can properly point out where it's comin from... any volunteers? :)

you guys are all way off. I know exactly the noise you are trying to describe. My parents neighbor had two cherokees, and they always made this engine noise, mine does it now, only when it is first started and only for a little bit, I don't have a clue what it is, you should record it and post it.

All you'd have to do is find a vid of a super-charged XJ and it would sound exactly like that lol. It is pretty sweet but I'm pretty sure it's not exactly a good thing...

Mine is doing it, just haven't gotten around to changing the alternater.

My XJ only does it when it is first started, It began to happen after I removed the stock air box & installed a cone filter (To make room for an ARB air compressor under the hood).

It could be a slight "vacuum" leak in your intake system. As mentioned by jeeptx23 if you have a throttle body spacer or anything else where you have disassembled your intake system there could be a slight leak. The supercharger sound (I like to think of it as a reverse turbo sound) is most likely air being sucked through a tiny gap in the gasket. The reason it only happens at high speeds is that your engine wants more air at high speeds so it's sucking harder than your intake will provide and air is finding other ways in, thus whistling.

That's my $0.02 at least.

It's definately not a whistle. And it doesn't follow vehicle speed, but engine speed. Oh, and this sound, plus the whistle of my TBS, plus my dual-outlet header and straight through dual exhaust w/no cats is causing some considerable head turning lol

i got the same noise,always thought it was the front drive shaft.even when just in 2wd, the front shaft is allowed to spin freely.just a thought, check it out

Nope, I dropped my front driveshaft last week (winter's over) and it still does it. And again, it follows ENGINE speed. And it's pretty faint and light sounding, not like somethin big or reciprocating.

Back