• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axle swap

dmay1969

NAXJA Forum User
ive looked at the threads for this...I just pulled an axle from a 98 exp disc and all...right now i have stock gears in the jeep.The new axle is 3.73...my front is still gonna be 3.55.dana 30 for now....will there be any problems running these 2 at the same time?Im gonna regear in a few months...but is it good for now?

dmay1969 said:
ive looked at the threads for this...I just pulled an axle from a 98 exp disc and all...right now i have stock gears in the jeep.The new axle is 3.73...my front is still gonna be 3.55.dana 30 for now....will there be any problems running these 2 at the same time?Im gonna regear in a few months...but is it good for now?

Pull the front DS and you will be fine.

so the gearing is that diffrent that they wont run together?im gonna pull the DS but just wondering...

dmay1969 said:
so the gearing is that diffrent that they wont run together?im gonna pull the DS but just wondering...

Yes, It is not worth the trouble that it can potentially cause you. Just pull the DS and dont worry about it.

Unless you plan on staying with 31's for the next couple years, skip 4.10's and go with 4.56'.

The jeep would rather spin the motor a little fast on the highway than work a little hard every time you touch the throttle.

Chris @ GATR said:
Actually, you can run 2 different gear ratios without pulling the front shaft. You just cant put the TC in 4WD with two different ratios.

Until someone else sits in his jeep and starts playing with the four wheel drive shifter.

I've seen what happens when you run mixed gears (4.56 and 4.88). Its not pretty.

Is better to play it safe. :)

cal said:
Until someone else sits in his jeep and starts playing with the four wheel drive shifter.

I've seen what happens when you run mixed gears (4.56 and 4.88). Its not pretty.

Is better to play it safe. :)

Exactly, pulling the front DS is a sure shot way to know that nothing will go wrong. Better to be safe then sorry.

Back