• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ranger 8.8

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal...

I can get a ranger 8.8 for free... Will it hold up to locked 35's? is the Explorer 8.8 THAT much better that I should spend the money on it?:confused:

are they really THAT much worse than the explorer axles? I know they're not AS strong... but really?

currently have a 8.8 out of a 06 mazda 4x4 -lsd, welded tubes, in the xj.
I have an exploder 8.8 in my other truck- it looks the same, It's the spline count and carrier that is the big difference 31 sp = strong , 27sp stockish and not so strong

tayman said:
are they really THAT much worse than the explorer axles? I know they're not AS strong... but really?

Dana 35 = 27 splines
Range 8.8 = 28 splines
late 8.25 = 29 splines
dana 44 = 30 splines
dana 60 ff = 30 splines
explor 8.8 = 31 splines
ford 9" = 31 splines

.. there are other incarnations of some of those axles that are bigger, but given the chart there, you figure out the difference.

so you're sayin it's worth it to get an explorer 8.8.....

gotcha...

tayman said:
so you're sayin it's worth it to get an explorer 8.8.....

gotcha...

No, what I'm saying is the ranger 8.8 isnt worth the gas you'll burn driving it to a dumpster. :)

I re-submit my previous statement! :laugh:

Will the exploder (I know) bolt right in? or atleast close to a bolt in?

xxmidianxx said:
Will the exploder (I know) bolt right in? or atleast close to a bolt in?
Yes! It will bolt right in..................... right after you weld on new spring perches ,shock mounts , change drive shafts, modify e-brake cables and brake lines................. other than that it bolts right in.

Ranger 8.8 is also drum braked as apposed to disked for exploders.

Also, gearing is different, and I dont believe they came with the LSD found in some exploders.

Starboard M said:
Ranger 8.8 is also drum braked as apposed to disked for exploders.

Also, gearing is different, and I dont believe they came with the LSD found in some exploders.

Not all explorers had disks, only post 95's.

The Hard Struggler said:
Yes! It will bolt right in..................... right after you weld on new spring perches ,shock mounts , change drive shafts, modify e-brake cables and brake lines................. other than that it bolts right in.

Thanks thats what I needed to know! :laugh3:

I dont believe they came with the LSD found in some exploders.

wrong... not that I care, I'm gonna lock it anyways.

the friend that I would've gotten the axle from has a LSD under his pickup now.

Back