• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moved Alt to A/C mount & Elec. Fan Setup

lectrode

NAXJA Forum User
First,many thanks to rubix-xj & outlander for getting this mod started !!!!!!!

I have been wanting to pull all the A/C related stuff out for some time now,then I read the thread rubix-xj had about putting Alt up top and that was enuff to get started.

Once I got all the A/C stuff yanked I started mounting the Alt in place of A/C compresser.Since I was moving it to a higher place I decided to use my
180A High Output with adjustable voltage regulator Alt. that I used when I competed in USAC Outlaw SPL.

I used the same method rubix-xj used by using the Alt. mount from below,
then where outlander made a bracket for the right ear, I used a bar pin
from a shock,grinded it a little and works fine.

I then decided to go from closed to open system and get rid of my mech. fan & go with a triple 10" setup.I also got rid of the heater valve as well.

I ended up buying a CSF 2-row from Radiator barn,195 deg Robert Shaw premium thermostat,Stant safety rad cap,new style therm. housing,lower hose,77" belt,brass nipples,brass elbow(these are in place of the old SHORT tube coming from pump)and the triple threat elec. fan system from E-Bay.
Here are some pics
SANY0211.jpg

SANY0212.jpg

SANY0213.jpg

Here you can see the bar pin I used.

SANY0223.jpg

SANY0225.jpg

Here is the old Alt bracket reused up top.
SANY0220.jpg

SANY0226.jpg

The Fans
SANY0235.jpg

SANY0236.jpg

SANY0237.jpg

Overflow bottle
SANY0234.jpg

I modified the Fan control system I received with the fans by adding two more relays and three switches for more flexibility.
Pics of relays. The blue finned part is my adj. voltage reg.
SANY0232.jpg

The switches. Top switch is : Off position is Auto Mode / On pos. is just that
ON bypassing Auto mode. Bottom Left switch is the middle fan,bottom right is
the two outside fans. Normal position is On,but I can drop out the mid. fan OR
drop out the outside fans OR drop out ALL three fans.
Then I thought I needed something to let me know my fans were On or Off while driving down the hwy,because I did not think I would be able to hear them.I gutted the clock(broken anyway)put some tint on the display and used the lamp that was already there.
Auto Mode
SANY0241.jpg

On Mode
SANY0242.jpg

Sorry for the long post!!
I am very pleased with my new setup!!!!!

awesome! looks great! I just did the same move, but I left everything else the way it was.

What do you do with the A/C lines when you disconnect them??? right now mine are just hanging there...

tayman said:
awesome! looks great! I just did the same move, but I left everything else the way it was.

What do you do with the A/C lines when you disconnect them??? right now mine are just hanging there...
Look at 7th pic towards firewall,just cut then silicone

This is on my 87 XJ. While I was under the hood I also replaced the O-rings
on the filter adapter,new motor mounts from Brown Dog,all new CCV system,
Oil filler cap,temp switch for temp guage,oil switch for oil guage &
valve cover gasket. Took valve cover off to clean and to install CCV.

SANY0239.jpg

This is the reason I was originally down.Don't know how I ended up under
the hood?

SANY0227.jpg

wow... playin in the rocks were ya?

So what did you use for an idler since you eliminated a component didn't the belt become longer? i would like to try this on my project jeep.

94XJ2door5speed said:
So what did you use for an idler since you eliminated a component didn't the belt become longer? i would like to try this on my project jeep.
The idler pulley is still there and the pulley for the mech fan is still there
as well.Probably could have taken out the fan pulley but I opted not to.
The belt is 77" now.
See pic
SANY0211.jpg

wow... how'd I get a 70 3/4in. belt on there???

So in other words i can remove both the compressor and the mechanical fan with no issue. I will just have to put another electric fan in there. Its a beater jeep and i have deamed it the experimental Jeep aswell so maybe i'll give it a try.

94XJ2door5speed said:
So in other words i can remove both the compressor and the mechanical fan with no issue. I will just have to put another electric fan in there. Its a beater jeep and i have deamed it the experimental Jeep aswell so maybe i'll give it a try.
It works

Looks like it's a good idea to leave the fan pully on in this setup, much tighter wrap on the alt pully!

Also I love my brown dog motor mounts, how about you?

I used my origional stock engine brackets (not the Browndog ones) and I found I had to modify the mount bushing to fit. I hat to trim one of the ends of each bushing in order to get it to slide between the motor brackets.

Other than that they are awesome mounts, the Jeep feels much tighter than before.

Blaine B. said:
Looks like it's a good idea to leave the fan pully on in this setup, much tighter wrap on the alt pully!

I was going to say that as well - the extra little bit of wrap you can get from using the MFan pully as an idler should help keep your output up.

Blaine B. said:

Also I love my brown dog motor mounts, how about you?
I used my origional stock engine brackets (not the Browndog ones) and I found I had to modify the mount bushing to fit. I hat to trim one of the ends of each bushing in order to get it to slide between the motor brackets.
Other than that they are awesome mounts, the Jeep feels much tighter than before.

That's why I left the fan pulley
Lovum as well!!!!!!!!!!
I wrestled the drivers side for a while,but it finally went in.

lectrode said:

Yep... been running like this for about a month... took it wheelin, no problems. I left my mechanical fan in (like I said before) and it works great! :spin1:

Back