• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's steering conversion upgrades....

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
Just so there is no confusion this is what I am talking about http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...ys&Product_Code=RS-SC250-UV&Category_Code=ste

First so calrification, I was doing research here for a while now and read on here that you could upgrade the tie-rod ends on rusty's crap to the dodge 3/4ton TREs. This is incorrect, on the steering conversion listed above,while the es2848l and es2847r tie rod ends have the same taper as the stock tie rod ends for jeep, they have a 3/4-16 shank which I knew.

Well now to the upgrades; I started by removing the steering from the jeep to clean things up a bit and because it was a pita to work on on the jeep. I proceeded to heat up and hammer and "breaker bar" all the old crap off. When this was done I was excited, "Now I can just screw in the new TRE's and call it done right?" WRONG. I come to find out that rustys uses 11/16-18 tie rod ends which I assume is what the stock ends are. Anyway I quickly realized that I Was in a predicament and had to figure out what I wanted to do so in the mean time I put everything back together sunk my head down low in disgust at my mistake and went onto the interweb to read about what I did wrong.

The next day brought on much delight, I took the steering off again and took my 3/4-16 right hand tap and created the threads on the passenger side and screwed in the new tie-rod end along with a jcr offroad type poly spacer that I made at work on a lathe as well . Bolted everything right up and it steers like a dream. No dead spots no slop NOTHING it is awesome.

Just to set the records straight, I did not buy this steering, it was given to me at no cost after it fell apart, YES fell apart on the previous owner when he was driving down the street, it just pulled apart. So he had it welded back together and purchased 1-ton steering and handed me this. So my intentions were to make this a Better steering system than rusty's made and I am on my way. I am waiting to obtain a 3/4-16 left hand tap and I will do the other side.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I will help some people with this so they dont waste time like I initially did

I had the "steering upgrade" for awhile. After adding a Dana 44 I needed a different one and went for the OTK steering upgrade which is much much better than my previous one. The whole system is better and I recommend it to anyone who is doing a swap.

SO I just took the rusty's steering off and sleeved it with some 1.25" tubing with 1/8 wall and it makes it quite a bit bigger and hopefully stronger as well. I will try to remember to post some pics whenever I get a chance.

after all this work and a lot of thought it almost seems like the zj tie rod with a fliup insert would be a great idea.

But I got this rustys setup for free and have made it better for the cost of some dodge tre's and some steel i had lying around, so I guess I can't complain.

here are some pics if anyone wants to see just for the hell of it, the tubes are now 1.25" OD and the thickness is like .25-.3 now so it should not bend....
IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

as you can see i did not do the 1"-2" section on the other side of the squared piece, as I dont think that needs to be reinforced since it has the TRE in the full length right there

Back