• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 detroit gearless

asp

NAXJA Forum User
did some searching and didn't come up with anything good. so here's the story. i'm in new england, first of all, so i drive in snow. lots of it. i have a no slip in my rear 8.25, but i want a front traction device. i'm hesitant to say "locker" because i don't want to have to set up gears, but i plan to go bigger than i am now, so i'm not going to waste my time doing it twice... i also want to be able to steer in snow while on the gas. so my question is, i have read that detroit gearless lockers wear out in less than 10k miles, which is fine with me, but how would they hold up in a front axle that's only engaged when i wheel/in lots of snow. thanks!

bump

any thoughts? i've considered the true track and like it's features, but i don't think it's worth it for the d30. i also only plan on running 34s... if it helps.

I ran the gearless in my dana 30 for 6 years without any issues. it locks up well and quick. I put 50,000+ miles on mine without any issues. I now run OX selectable in the XJ

does it disengage well? i just want something that will allow me to turn in snow. i'd love to have an ox but i can't afford it. i was also considering a regular locking lunchbox style...

A lunchbox is relatively inexpensive and not too complicated to install. I'm considering it, but to start in the rear, leaving the front open. This allows the wheels to still differentiate and will allow better steering in snow because they will not pull back and forth with varying surfaces.

Think about it - the tire on pavement will drive, the one on ice or snow won't as well, and having it "locked" in front will cause a constant back and forth change in steering depending on which wheel has better traction. Some don't find this objectionable up north, roads stay much more covered in winter. In the Midwest, half slick, ice rutted roads are the norm.

Most start with the locker in the rear for good traction, and then move to the front for more extreme trail conditions. One just in the front may not be the best way to start.

Lock the front with another No-Slip or Lock Right. Then learn to drive with it. You'll wonder why you ever worried about it.
Caveat: If you aren't a very good driver, which some people aren't. Then just leave it open. -B

TiRod said:
A lunchbox is relatively inexpensive and not too complicated to install. I'm considering it, but to start in the rear, leaving the front open. This allows the wheels to still differentiate and will allow better steering in snow because they will not pull back and forth with varying surfaces.

Think about it - the tire on pavement will drive, the one on ice or snow won't as well, and having it "locked" in front will cause a constant back and forth change in steering depending on which wheel has better traction. Some don't find this objectionable up north, roads stay much more covered in winter. In the Midwest, half slick, ice rutted roads are the norm.

Most start with the locker in the rear for good traction, and then move to the front for more extreme trail conditions. One just in the front may not be the best way to start.

i already have a no-slip in the rear. just trying to decide what to do for the front that will still allow me to steer well in snow.

boomhauer said:
Lock the front with another No-Slip or Lock Right. Then learn to drive with it. You'll wonder why you ever worried about it.
Caveat: If you aren't a very good driver, which some people aren't. Then just leave it open. -B

i don't have that much experience wheeling, but i'm confident in my ability to drive in snow and bad conditions. i've been toying with the idea of a front lunchbox for a few months now. i just can't decide... i can't afford it right now anyway, i just want to know what my plan is.

I have had a tru-trac in my d.d.front D30 for at least 8 yrs. Aprox. 50k. and still works great in the snow. The handeling is superb. I have let my 16 year old daughter drive it 2 winters now with no problems.
Ron

I highly do NOT recommend the Powertrax in the front. I have had one in for about three months of once weekly wheeling and it is for the less of a better description a POS. I run the Lockright in the rear and wish I would have put that in the front too. Aussies would also be an economical choice in the lunch box realm.

Put an Aussie locker up front and not worry about it. Theres no way you should wear it out anytime soon and they very smooth operating in a front axle w/o locking hubs.

Id say Aussie up front as well, ran mine all winter for the first time and besides being a bit on the noisy side (got used to it and stopped caring) didnt have any handling problems. And easy on the budget too. Havent ridden in anything with the gearless tho, is it like a LSD with clutches?

that's pretty much what it looks like. i found it and thought it looked like a decent alternative... i'll prolly just toss an aussie in. here's a pic of the detroit gearless...

ct_125996.jpg

so you have an aussie in the fr and in the snow it's fine. i've been teetering on the edge for so long. i should just man up and do it. and then like everyone says i will wonder why. if it sucks that much in the snow i could always put the spiders back in...

Los Lobos said:
I highly do NOT recommend the Powertrax in the front. I have had one in for about three months of once weekly wheeling and it is for the less of a better description a POS. I run the Lockright in the rear and wish I would have put that in the front too. Aussies would also be an economical choice in the lunch box realm.

Powertrax makes the Lock Right and the No-Slip, i'm assuming you're against the No-Slip, please do tell.
I will say this, if you do not set the No-Slip up correctly yes it will be a POS. -B

i have the no-slip in my rear and i love it. it works like butter, but i can imagine how it would work poopy if you set it up wrong. i'd prefer to have one in the front, but they're significantly more $ than an aussie, which i was leaning towards over the traditional lock right. the other option is the detroit ez locker, but i haven't heard anything about its reliability.

boomhauer said:
Powertrax makes the Lock Right and the No-Slip, i'm assuming you're against the No-Slip, please do tell.
I will say this, if you do not set the No-Slip up correctly yes it will be a POS. -B

Actually it's Richmond Gear that makes the Powertrax and the Lockright, no need to split hairs though.

Anyway, with the sensing function that was designed into it, in a front axle application it will lock and unlock constantly with turning. If you have to stop suddenly on a slick surface it will unlock one side or the other and then slam back in with the worst being sheared u-joints, that has happened twice now. I will be opening it up to take a look at it this week and will shoot some pictures. My guess is the driver's side gearing is worn down to nothing and there "sensing" tab is probably worn off. I think with the constant spinning with daily driving it takes additional wear. The Powertrax has only been installed since December.

The Lockright is installed in my 8.25 and has for the most part worked flawlessly. I would assume if the Powertrax was in a rear application it would have had far less issues than it has.

So for the lack of hassle in the D30 front application I would have to recommend the Lockright or the Aussie for lack of wearable, fragile looking parts.

think i'm gonna get an aussie. it's near but not quite at the top of the list. i really need to set up tow points first. thanks for the help!

ujeeps suck:smoker:

yet we love them so.

Los Lobos said:
Actually it's Richmond Gear that makes the Powertrax and the Lockright, no need to split hairs though.

Anyway, with the sensing function that was designed into it, in a front axle application it will lock and unlock constantly with turning. If you have to stop suddenly on a slick surface it will unlock one side or the other and then slam back in with the worst being sheared u-joints, that has happened twice now. I will be opening it up to take a look at it this week and will shoot some pictures. My guess is the driver's side gearing is worn down to nothing and there "sensing" tab is probably worn off. I think with the constant spinning with daily driving it takes additional wear. The Powertrax has only been installed since December.

The Lockright is installed in my 8.25 and has for the most part worked flawlessly. I would assume if the Powertrax was in a rear application it would have had far less issues than it has.

So for the lack of hassle in the D30 front application I would have to recommend the Lockright or the Aussie for lack of wearable, fragile looking parts.

You hit the nail on the head! This banging happens with ALL the lunch box lockers, including the Lock Right and Aussie in front applications if not in 4wd on slippery surface conditions when stopping. Scares the sh!t outta ya! I just run 4wd when stopping on ice to prevent the problem. I had an Aussie which i got rid of, and currently have a Lock Right. I think i may just go ECTED or OX in the future.
-B

Back